Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Ugh, I Guess It's Over

2K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  Pepper 
#1 ·
It seems like clockwork. Every five years or so there's an awesome winter, with snow packed on the streets for weeks at a time, highs in the 20's and life is great. Then there's the winter after that one, this winter. There was only one (1) snow that was big enough to stick around for three days. Other than that, we've had a few dustings that didn't even last through the day. I'VE HAD TO WATER THE LAWN THIS WINTER!!! The west side of the continental divide has been hammered pretty good this year, but the front range is crispy crunchy dry. Sled dogs are almost done with coat blow, Bubba needs to be soaked before we run, I'm coming home from 5:30am runs sweating and thirsty, then the weather girl dropped this bomb on me...

¿i¿She called Thursday/Friday a COOL DOWN?!?

Even though we've had to constantly adjust our running schedule due to warm weeks, it's still a bit depressing to officially start back on summer schedule now. I hate heat. This season has made me comfortable outside in t-shirt and shorts down to 30°F. I'm really really not looking forward to summer. Doggies know it too. Activity levels are way down, food intake has slowed and water use has upped. It's officially slow and boring season at the harrise household. I'm so sad...

(cont.)

See less See more
#9 ·
awwww poor guys!!!

Why don't you do what we do, hook them up to a 4 wheeler
¿Are you teasing me? I don't make them work if it's too hot for me to work. Plus, I need WAY more sled dogs for that.

Wow, your 5-day weather forecast looks like mine.............. we are 15 to 20 degrees higher then normal for this time of year.

I bet Lula would LOVE a good snow fall............ she acts just like a little kid when it comes to snow.

Anyways, great pics........your crew looks nice and comfy. I good lazy day is always nice around here. It looks like every nook and cranny in your house has a pet....... Do you ever have a place to sit? Hehe I always look forward to pics of your crew, especially Bubba, he is the best looking SB I've seen!
Yeah, it's been a warm year. I knew it was coming too when we got constantly dumped on last year, it needed balance. To answer your seating question, no. Everyone gives me crap because I won't move the cats or dogs when I enter a room. I let them stay where they're at, and sometimes I get the floor when watching TV. Thanks for noticing Bubba! Last week I took him to a self service dog wash place. He still smells good almost ten days later. Just trying to get a jump on this weather and his overheating.

Home after bath. "What'cha doin' with my mailbox" face...

Not here... It's about 18 degrees F here and only supposed to warm up to 50 by this coming weekend. No snow-- just cold.

Those pictures are too adorable. What a sad bunch!
We just got a brand new snow storm last night into this morning, boy am I excited to see the snow :] My dog may not like it that much, but i sure do!
I was hoping to do some more snowboardjoring this year. This summer I will get the car running again and then I can the the van for travels into the hills next winter.

OMG where do you live? Rhe South has been hit hard tun and Mon. with snow while us Northerners in some parts NY have cold but no snow. I'd love it to be in 60's and 70's right now. But of course I don't do dog runs either.
I live here...

My biggest problem is showering multiple times a day. That and A/C influenced utility bills.

We go hot...cool...cold...hot...really hot...then really cold...I never know what it's going to be from one day to the next. Last weekend was in the 70's, this past it barely got to 55...then, GA and NC get snow. I'm not looking forward to summer that's for sure. I don't think we've had a hard freeze yet this year. UGH!
¿Yeah, 'sup with that? The ground here is still workable. It never did freeze. Even the nighttime temps were not enough to get a freeze through the dirt. At least it was somewhat stable as far as temps. Gradual changes from 45 to 60 took a week, but then it stayed 60 for a week before starting over again. I think we've had six to eight weeks of 50's/60's this winter. Here's hoping that doesn't mean a rainy summer. Rain is my line. I refuse to venture outside in rain. No rain.

#4 ·
Wow, your 5-day weather forecast looks like mine.............. we are 15 to 20 degrees higher then normal for this time of year. :(

I bet Lula would LOVE a good snow fall............ she acts just like a little kid when it comes to snow.

Anyways, great pics........your crew looks nice and comfy. I good lazy day is always nice around here. It looks like every nook and cranny in your house has a pet....... Do you ever have a place to sit? Hehe :eek: :p I always look forward to pics of your crew, especially Bubba, he is the best looking SB I've seen!

#5 ·
Not here... It's about 18 degrees F here and only supposed to warm up to 50 by this coming weekend. No snow-- just cold.

#7 ·
OMG where do you live? Rhe South has been hit hard tun and Mon. with snow while us Northerners in some parts NY have cold but no snow. I'd love it to be in 60's and 70's right now. But of course I don't do dog runs either.

#8 ·
We go hot...cool...cold...hot...really hot...then really cold...I never know what it's going to be from one day to the next. Last weekend was in the 70's, this past it barely got to 55...then, GA and NC get snow. I'm not looking forward to summer that's for sure. I don't think we've had a hard freeze yet this year. UGH!:mad:

#10 ·
Ugh, I would gladly trade with you! I can't wait for spring to come, this winter's been just brutal. Tons of snow, and we had a week where it was actually colder here than the North Pole! It was in the -50's celcius for six weeks, and even now, it's cold. I'd love some mild weather right about now, lol.

#16 ·
ARGH! That snow pic is killing me pugmom. The mud is getting awful in here. Since I have to supplement the lack of moisture with late evening watering, it makes for a mess the next day when sled heads get goin' with their sled dog games. I'm SO not looking forward to getting up early again. Winter is supposed to be my sleep in season, but I guess that's what naps are for... ¿Right?

#17 ·
I really feel bad for you guys. You actually WANT the snow and we're the ones getting it. Marge has an attention span of about 20 minutes with the snow. We can do without it here.

Can you get up real early when it's still cool and take them for a run?

#18 ·
Harrise! We are finally getting a real winter storm here in NorCal. We're expecting about 3 feet over the next 2 days. So you should be getting this storm sometime next week.

We've had a slow winter, too. About half the winter I've been able to see dirt behind the house when we should have about 3-4 feet of snow. It's depressing.

#23 ·
*sigh* we have 20cm of snowpack here still, and it was -17 here last night, almost -30 with the windchill.

I would LOVE 73F weather right about now. My dog could care less, either way... she's never complained about either extreme.

#27 ·
Woe is me, Alaska is definitely more of our type of climate. Relocating sounds hard.

Hey! Sounds like we might get "trace amounts" of snow this Sunday. Whoop-dee-****... It's still going to be in the mid 40's. I don't know what I'm gonna do when mornings are 50+, besides cry in helplessness. Winnie, that picture just breaks my heart. Sled dogs have taken to sleeping in the garage already. SLK, the hills are at 140% of average snowpack (west of the divide that is). Should be great conditions for some late season runs. Was thinking of headin' up myself this month. Maybe after the next round of snow there.

#28 ·
I feel for you harrise, i really do but i can't pray for more winter!!!! i am like in a winter depression. i need spring to come!!!!!! here in pa. anyway. sounds like alaska is your place !!!!!!!!!:p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.