Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its summer in Texas and my dogs are literally covered in fleas once again. With two of our dogs just about anything works. Its Molly... We often have her shaved into a puppy cut just because of the hot weather but she is so freaking resistant to every flea treatment we have tried...

Cap Star nope didn't do a thing! Adult fleas crawling all over her...
DE applied topically and in her food... She sneezed and that's it. We tried for a whole month.
Frontline drops, Advantage, tea tree oil topically, Comfortis(that was a killer cost!)... Pills, collars, drops, sprays, dusts, shampoos, natural, chemical. Vet recommended! Nothing freaking works!

We have wood floors. Applied borax, vacuum, spent tons of money washing everything in sight. Dusted with DE, dusted with chemical flea dust, sprayed...

The only thing that seems to work on her for about a day is dawn. You can't wash a dog every day in dawn dish soap. She's never had this problem until we moved to Texas. Every summer it just gets so bad! I don't know what to do anymore! I'm at my whits end here!

We have spent so much money and time trying to get rid of this problem! Yes, we do spray our lawn as well. Oh, and DE does not work in a large lawn.

We have a large feral cat colony in this area. Its been some what reduced due to new laws but it still exists. We spent a crud ton of money buying cat deterrents and even went as far as to screen in our own yard. Still... Those dang freaking son of a something or other fleas won't go away!

Please, please help!

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
That's Texas for ya! :p When my mom lived in San Diego (yeah, not TX, but similar climate) her house had a bad flea infestation and she didn't even have any pets!

But seriously, it's weird that Comfortis and Capstar didn't work. Even when spot-ons lose their efficacy, the oral meds usually still work. She must have some weird body chemistry that makes them not work.

Maybe K9 Advantix? You have to be super careful if you have cats, but I've heard it works well.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I can't offer you any help, but I'm going through the same thing. The comfortis is working well, but all the topicals have failed miserably. I have 8 large dogs, its quite expensive! The pups are still too young. The dawn works for a few hours. The day the pups are old enough they are getting comfortis!!

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
People don't seem to use it much anymore - but did you try Program? It doesn't kill the fleas, it sterilizes them so they will decrease in population over time.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Lemon juice kills fleas (and I think it even works on the egg sacs). Cedar chips, around the entire perimeter of your yard will help keep fleas out.

A couple years ago, we had just moved to Virginia, and we were staying with some family while we got everything set up for ourselves. I didn't own my dogs at the time, but we had a cat then. However, the family we were staying with had 2 spaniels. Well about a month after being there, the dogs got fleas HORRIBLE BAD. So, our cat got them as well. It was so horrible. Fleas were EVERYWHERE.

Anyway, we treated all the animals, and nothing was working, because the dogs kept getting them. So, finally we put cedar chips around the whole yard, treated the house and pets with lemon juice and vacuumed like it would make us rich lol.

With much diligence and patience it worked out. You just have to be super tedious about it.

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts