Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got home from work (and going to the mall for a fathers day present, ipod touch). Realized that I finished my book so I thought, Hmm I need to take Ty for a walk still AND I need to get the second book to the series. Call a book store to make sure they have it and ask if dogs were allowed, which they were *bonus!*.

So me and Ty walk the 10 minutes to the bus stop (working on his heal, which he's pretty darn good at! Its my homework for obedience lol). On the way we meet 4 men trying to jump start a car that had to stop and say hello. One asked what breed his was (English Springer Spaniel) then asks, "So! is he English, or Spanish? Ha ha ha I'm just kidding with you"

After waiting another 10 minutes for the bus, having everyone stop to say hello, I pick Ty up and we get on. Where someone had to come and see him. More of the same questions I get asked 100 times while walking him (how old, male/female, what breed est). Down the stairs we went to the subway. I think he loves the train, it pushes all his hair and ears back and his tag wags LOL I thought he'd be scared of it.

We see 3-5 people going out to a club who HAD to stop me on the subway to see him. I sit down and they all had to pet him *more questions here*

Get off subway, and take him on the escalator. Which he's not to sure of yet, he wants to walk up it and doesn't quite get that it takes him to the top LOL.

Another escalator ride and he was free. Walk the 3 minutes or so to Indigo, take him to the cashier wait a little bit, and find out my book is at the "book Storage" as I got them to hold it for me. Walk him over there get more "awwww!! Look at how cute he is!" Get book and go back to cashier. Pay for book and notice another employee is petting him and giving him lots of loving.

While she is doing that, another dog (poodle mix) comes over. With more people. Ty is loving this. Two dogs sniff and wag tails/stumps until we all part ways.

The way back was much more calm. Whole adventure only took 30-40 minutes, and Ty was lying most of it.

And for being such a good boy the whole time, Ty got to run leash free (but still attached to him) in the school yard by my house. He already knows come without distractions. Well if he's watching something on the other side of the fence, like a car or bike or people, and I say Ty come! He'll come. I haven't tried with people on the same side of the fence as him just yet.

So there was Ty's trip the the book store! I just LOVE taking him places, I don't feel so alone. But being a really shy person and having all these people coming up to me all the time gives me "eeek" moments. I can't wait till I can take him for longer walks!

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Please, please, please don't take him on escalators- pick him up, or find an elevator. They are NOT safe for dogs. (I know some SD folks do use them, but I won't let my guys.) There was a case last year of a dog who got his toes caught and was very seriously injured- I think up in the NE somewhere.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dogstar. I know, and I won't be letting him go on once he's used to it. There are a few places that I go that only have escalators, and when he's full grown theres know way I can carry him up it. But I'd rather him not be terrifide of them, like my brothers dog is. Its not something he'll be doing a lot of thats for sure.

Thanks klaire :)

·
Registered
554 Posts
Heh, that was a nice story. ;) I try to take my little dog as many places as possible, too. She just sits in my arms and looks around.

The clerks always love her, too.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Cute story, My dog is still afraid of everything and everyone, and I have socialized her alot!! She's over a year old and it's getting kind of embarrassing having her back off from everyone she comes across. What series are you reading?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks you three :D He does really good when going out. He listens very well and thinks everyone wants to pet him. He'll do the whole "sit and wag stump" and slowly go over to them... Then he's in for the kill! LOL

Musicmom, I'm reading the Summoning seires...There are 5 books, the first one is called Guardian of Honor by Robin D. Owens. They're really good :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts