Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
If you're lucky, your puppy will be like mine and will let you know when s/he is ready to nap! The most time consuming thing when my puppy was that young were the near-constant potty breaks, and those nice naps were the only thing that extended the length of time in between potty breaks. We did something like this:

Potty break
Breakfast
Potty Break
20 minutes playtime
Gated into kitchen (washable floor) or Crate time/nap
Potty Break when she wakes up, or after 20 minutes if she doesn't fall asleep
20 minutes playtime
Gated into kitchen (washable floor) or Crate time/nap
Potty Break when she wakes up...

And continue until dinner. Sometimes those naps would be longer than others, and that's always nice! :p

If any of your chores are outside, I'd set up an ex-pen/play yard and then you don't have to worry about potty breaks, because puppy will already be in an acceptable potty spot! You can also wear a leash around your waist and attach it to puppy during those "20 minutes playtime" periods, and go about your business around the house. Then I'd try to plan errands during nap times. This won't be forever! You can gradually increase the "playtime" slot to be 25 minutes, then 30 minutes. Eventually we stopped using a timer, but I don't think that happened until puppy was about 4 months old. Housetraining is time consuming but so very worth it in the end!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts