Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! We're getting a 9 week old puppy in a few weeks and I don't work so I have the time to be at home but I have daily chores and errands that need to me done. Do you all have a daily schedule for your pup? Like for example, wake up, potty, eat, play, training, potty, crate? If I have to get things done during the day, is it okay to crate the puppy for a couple of hours to get stuff done? Is that okay to do a couple times a day? Like for naps? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
to your entire post.... (yes) .. at 9wks old they still sleeping a lot for growing... the time spent for doing the basics potty eat play (using fun to introduce individual ob positions) will be all very short and then back to sleep. Putting them up when you can't directly supervise them doing chores around the house is what I do... especially the chores that your moving around back and forth... I always like to encourage them to be helpers for the things that will keep me stationary for a while in one location.. give them a sock to carry from the laundry room when you are folding clothes .. work on teaching name and some focus while I,m dong dishes .. just baby gate them in the area you will be working... Congratulations on your pup look forward to pictures..

·
Super Moderator
3,381 Posts
That sounds fine to me. If it helps, here's our typical work week schedule:

5:30am: Wake up, let dog out (we have a fenced yard) while I use the bathroom/put in contacts/wash face
6:00am: Go out for a walk. Sometimes there are training sessions with said walk, mostly basic obedience stuff to keep fresh
6:30am: Get back from walk, feed dog, he eats from his puzzle toys while I get ready, then generally hangs out until his last potty break.
7:20am: Let dog out for last potty break
7:35am: Dog goes in crate, I leave for work.

4:40pm: My husband returns from work and lets dog out.
5:30pm: I get home, change, take dog for walk/play in the yard/train/whatever
6:30pm: We go inside and dog gets fed, I make dinner for humans.

That's it. After that, we hang out in the house, and he typically takes his last potty break at 10:00 when we go to bed. We have a fenced yard, so I typically just let him out whenever he asks and he stays out there for however long he wants. He will sometimes bring us toys to hold while he bites them/or throw them so he can chase them. My dog is also an adult, so he gets quite a bit more free unsupervised time in the house and outside than a puppy. Also, one day a week we have an hour long agility class which takes the place of that day's walk.

So yes, crating your dog while you do life stuff is fine. Little puppies can probably go 2-4 hours in a crate, but obviously as they get older they can hold it for a full work day. Puppies will need many more potty breaks than an adult, so like every 20-30 minutes when active and awake.

·
Registered
320 Posts
If you're lucky, your puppy will be like mine and will let you know when s/he is ready to nap! The most time consuming thing when my puppy was that young were the near-constant potty breaks, and those nice naps were the only thing that extended the length of time in between potty breaks. We did something like this:

Potty break
Breakfast
Potty Break
20 minutes playtime
Gated into kitchen (washable floor) or Crate time/nap
Potty Break when she wakes up, or after 20 minutes if she doesn't fall asleep
20 minutes playtime
Gated into kitchen (washable floor) or Crate time/nap
Potty Break when she wakes up...

And continue until dinner. Sometimes those naps would be longer than others, and that's always nice! :p

If any of your chores are outside, I'd set up an ex-pen/play yard and then you don't have to worry about potty breaks, because puppy will already be in an acceptable potty spot! You can also wear a leash around your waist and attach it to puppy during those "20 minutes playtime" periods, and go about your business around the house. Then I'd try to plan errands during nap times. This won't be forever! You can gradually increase the "playtime" slot to be 25 minutes, then 30 minutes. Eventually we stopped using a timer, but I don't think that happened until puppy was about 4 months old. Housetraining is time consuming but so very worth it in the end!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts