Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious if anyone knows what is a typical amount of sleep for dogs. I know that it will vary depending on the breed, just curiuos. I have a dachshund, so obviously not a high energy dog. He sleeps CONSTANTLY. He will curl up around 11pm at night. He will wake up a few times during the night and maybe play for a few minutes, but unless I wake him up he can EASILY sleep until 3-4pm. Part of this I think is that I'm up until early in the morning and sleep until about the same time. So he wakes up at 3-4pm. We go for a walk, he eats, plays a little bit. Then between 3-4pm and going to bed again at 11pm. He will sleep most of the time. Wherever I am he will curl up at my feet and sleep. Unless i'm laying on the floor, he just sleeps. This seems like far too much sleep, but what is norma? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Depends on the breed and age of the dog, but 12-18 hours is the range I've seen quoted. Young puppies can sleep even more. Sounds like your dog has matched your schedule. Mine does that, too. On days when I'm on the go, she's right there with me. But if I slug around, she's fine with that, too. Although when the witching hour hits, she wants to PLAY!! My dog goes to daycare 3 days a week, so she's really tired on her off days. She goes from playing for 8-9 hours full out one day to sleeping most of the next.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts