Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people, I'm new to the forum and not too familair with dog types but recently got this dog from the shelter and was wondering if anybody could possibly pin point the mix. He looks kinda like a dingo but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
How cute! Depending on where you are located, it's possible that you have a Carolina Dog, or at least a Carolina Dog mix.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks he is a good dog! I could see him as a Carolina dog mixed with something else. We live in Ohio. Really, I'm trying to figure out his natural traits and temperament because although he LOVES people and kids he doesn't seem to get along well with any other animal.

After additional research, I think he kind of has the look of Shiba Inu and Basenji too? Does anybody else see that?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Rat Terrier would be more likely than Basenji or Shiba, I'd think, but I wouldn't completely rule out either breed, since they are becoming more popular, especially Shibas.

It's possible that he either just never learned to get along with other animals, or has simply never been exposed to them. While he really doesn't need to learn ow to play with other dogs and the like, he does need to learn to ignore them. If you can find a good, positive based trainer to work with, that would probably be your best option.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Few things are impossible, but personally I don't notice much that is Shiba Inu-ish about him. Other things seem to be more busy at work, but I don't know what. That last picture almost looks like a deer. :- ) I'm sure he is a dear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay thanks! He's about 18 inches at the shoulder, so that might be the right for mix.

Right now, he is at a point where if I'm with him, he ignores other dogs unless they try to approach him.

But yesterday, Froggy (my dog) and I were out for a walk around the block and a pitbull which wasn't on a leash came running towards him (not showing aggression) and froggy lunged as it approached which scared the dog off for long enough for me to tell the owner to get his dog. He didn't bite the dog but would have if I didn't pull him back in time. I'm a little worried because he was on quarantine before I got him from the shelter for biting another dog.

He really is a sweet dog just gotta figure out his issues with other dogs

·
Registered
1,278 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks he is a good dog! I could see him as a Carolina dog mixed with something else. We live in Ohio. Really, I'm trying to figure out his natural traits and temperament because although he LOVES people and kids he doesn't seem to get along well with any other animal.

After additional research, I think he kind of has the look of Shiba Inu and Basenji too? Does anybody else see that?
View attachment 262020
View attachment 262019
He looks like a big brown version of my Chihuahua on this one, obviously hes not but he has the same features

·
Registered
458 Posts
Your daughter seems happy and the dog appears happy.

The lunge towards the unleashed dog may have been a protection move. Although, training is definitely needed.

My dog has learned to ignore nearly everything when I give the command, "Pass". He looks, no bark, no growl, no lunge, just stays with me and looks. We've had multiple encounters, some very stressful, some very benign. In all situations, I was proactive to advocate for my dog.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts