Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally finished Tybalt's cat tree last night! I didn’t need to cut the hole in the bottom shelf, realized that a bit too late, lol, but I want to make him a bed, so I think I’ll make it to fit inside that opening. If that doesn’t work like I think it will, I can always replace the shelf with another one, I’ve got a spare, thanks to a coworker, and the shelves only cost $2.99 anyway, lol.

I purchased the bookcase from IKEA for $29.99, cut the holes in the shelves, attached the carpet that I cut from samples I got from a carpet store for $3 each, and then assembled the bookcase. The whole thing cost me a little less than $50 to build, and it's 5.5 feet tall and 2 feet wide.

I think he likes it. :)

·
Registered
768 Posts
That's one of the nicest trees I've seen. It fits in with your furniture, looking like
a bookcase, not a cat tree. And, in time, you can add another if you wish.
Nicely done. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,335 Posts
That's one of the nicest trees I've seen. It fits in with your furniture, looking like
a bookcase, not a cat tree. And, in time, you can add another if you wish.
Nicely done. :)
Thanks! That was the goal, most of the cat trees in the pet stores are so ugly to me, and crazy over priced. The few that do meet my aesthetic tastes are insanely expensive, so I decided to make my own! :) Eventually, I'll be adding cat shelves along the wall above the cat tree, and wrapping around the room to the wall of bookcases at the other end of the room. :) I just have to complete the plans I have to finish those walls first before adding them. :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Nice! But I think he needs a couple of books to push off. :)
Have you seen Bob Walker's Cats' House? We thought about putting a walkway around the living room walls, but we had a three-legged cat with some brain damage (something tried to eat him when he was a feral kitten, he lost a hind leg and some brain cells), so he had a tendency to spook and spin into walls. We could just see him taking a header off the walkway. Main reason against the walkway though was that one of our cats was a projectile vomiter...

·
Super Moderator
7,335 Posts
Nice! But I think he needs a couple of books to push off. :)
Have you seen Bob Walker's Cats' House? We thought about putting a walkway around the living room walls, but we had a three-legged cat with some brain damage (something tried to eat him when he was a feral kitten, he lost a hind leg and some brain cells), so he had a tendency to spook and spin into walls. We could just see him taking a header off the walkway. Main reason against the walkway though was that one of our cats was a projectile vomiter...
LOL, he's got a whole wall of bookcases across the room if he feels the need to push some books around, lol. And...yikes! That's the best reason I've ever heard for not building a catwalk, lol! Thankfully Tybalt has no issue with vomiting, projectile or otherwise, lol. And yes, I have seen Bob Walker's cat house, it's amazing, although a little .... colourful for my taste, and I LOVE colour, lol. I just prefer that my home not look like a clown house, lol. But I am taking some ideas from it, like the tunnels through the walls from one room to another to join the cat walk. I really want to do that in a couple walls. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts