Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Daisy is our two year old shih-tzu/poodle mix. I like to call her our rescue dog because we were given her from just a very neglecting owner. Daisy is very gentle and a great cuddle dog. She listens to most commands and is just all around a good dog. I only have one fear..... nipping.

Most of Daisy's life, she has loved to nip. When I say nip, I don't mean nibble or play bite. She does that too and also knows to stop on command. She really only "nips" when we get her wild while we are playing with her, when I move my hands/feet across an object like the floor/couch/ottoman, or at my nieces hands when she goes to pet Daisy.

When she nips at my feet or hands when I move them, she will jump up from across the room and run over and start nipping at them. You can sometimes hear her teeth clicking together. When I tell her NO she cowers and knows she has done something bad. It is like she cannot help it. I blame myself because when we play with her we do rub our hands against stuff but she never nips that..... aggressively.

The other occasion is when our nieces are over. Daisy loves the six year old girl, but has never been two fond of the three year old. Yesterday only the three year old was over and I noticed when she would go to pet Daisy, Daisy would Nip at her hands. My niece didn't notice it, but I did and I did not like it. Daisy likes to be petted by my niece but often gets territorial around her food with this niece too (which I have been working on by feeding her on my schedule). My niece can pick up a toy and throw it for Daisy to fetch no problem. I just don't understand if Daisy is nipping at her to hurt her, or if she thinks my niece if playing.

Daisy has never bitten anyone, but I would still like this "aggressive nipping" habit to stop before our baby comes next month. Daisy has never seen a baby before and I have read plenty of "dog/baby preparation" books and articles. I just don't want her to think she can nip at the baby hands as they sway also.

Anyone have an experience like this with a puppy or more importantly, a dog who is a few years older? Any help is much appreciated! I am having some one on one time with my niece and the dog on Saturday and I was hoping for some good ideas. I am going to have her move her hands and when Daisy nips at them I am going to have her do the "OW!" technique while I then tell Daisy "NO!". Anyone else have any suggestions!?

·
Registered
332 Posts
I don't know if you saw this, there is a thread called The Bite Stops Here. Of course I'm working with a 10 week old puppy and the techniques offered in that thread are working wonderfully to get my puppy to stop biting (well mine tries to chew on my fingers and toes and I, myself, don't want that behavior.)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Definitely try the sticky. (It doesn't work on the first day usually. Keep at it.) She just needs training in bite inhibition. That type of nipping is totally normal for dogs. If you've ever seen two dogs play, they do it to each other all the time. However, dogs are covered in fur and we are not, so we have to train our dogs to be more gentle with unprotected human skin.

Also, dogs and kids are a volatile mix. They shouldn't be allowed to interact unsupervised, and if you know your dog doesn't get along with your 3 year old niece, they shouldn't play together. And the niece needs to be taught how to properly interact with the dog, as well, just as you will supervise and teach your own child.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did see this and I printed it off. I am excited to try this technique! Thank you both for the responses. I am interested to see how Daisy (and my niece) are able to do with each other!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I would not let your niece near her while she is eating, i have a 4 year old and a 1 year old nephews, they are not allowed near her while she eats, she has never been nasty to them, is just my choice i have made, the 1 year old still tries sometimes and i tell him no, they walk past her while she is eating with no trouble, i just don't let them get in her face or pet her, no-one bugs Holly while she is eating, is hard to say if she is been playful when she nips or not, if she is drawing blood then of course she isn't being nice, i don't have that much advice about nipping, because even though i have a BC i can't remember her being a nipper.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would not let your niece near her while she is eating, i have a 4 year old and a 1 year old nephews, they are not allowed near her while she eats, she has never been nasty to them, is just my choice i have made, the 1 year old still tries sometimes and i tell him no, they walk past her while she is eating with no trouble, i just don't let them get in her face or pet her, no-one bugs Holly while she is eating, is hard to say if she is been playful when she nips or not, if she is drawing blood then of course she isn't being nice, i don't have that much advice about nipping, because even though i have a BC i can't remember her being a nipper.
Yes we keep Daisy's food up at all times because of this. She has about 15 minutes to eat twice a day. She is starting to learn to eat when it is given to her.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts