Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me preface this by saying that I live alone with my dog. So nothing goes on in her life that I don?t have a hand in. She is a 5 month old lab/ australian shepherd mix. I got her when she was 3 months old. Right away she took to potty training. As long as I did my part and kept her on her schedule she would not use the bathroom in the house. I have a very small yard that is not fenced in. This means that I take her out every time on her leash. This gives me the opportunity to see everything that she does outside. Where she goes and what she explores. However, during the past few weeks (3 or so) it has been a challenge to get her to do number 2. It?s like over night she became scared of part of the yard. She goes through trouble to walk way around to avoid it and if I ever walk that way she stops and I would have to almost drag her if I wanted her to go to that part of the yard. Also, she HATES wet grass. Let me just say...she is not afraid of water. She almost enjoys her baths. She just hates wet grass all of a sudden. So in combination with fear of part of the yard and hating wet grass she has all of a sudden changed her routine of when to potty. For the first month and a half I would feed her first thing in the morning and immediately I knew she needed to go outside to do number 2. Then she may or may not would do number 2 again during the day. However, after I fed her a second time during the evening she would again immediately need to go do number 2. I would take her out and she would immediately take care of business. Now along with the above mentioned problems I might be outside with her for 30 minutes and she won?t go. I was just outside with her for a LONG time and she didn?t go. Then about 10 minutes after being inside she did number 2 in the house. What am I missing. I have not changed her diet or routine at all and like I said I watch her very closely. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, let me say that I have sometimes had to leave her in her kennel for 5-6 hours at a time. That is extremely rare, but it has happened. She has never, ever used the bathroom in her kennel. Not sure if that helps with the advice, but there it is.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
One of my dogs when she was a puppy decided she hated wet grass too. She's turning 5 soon and still doesn't like it, but will tiptoe through it to do her business.

I would say your dog is being a bit stubborn because the weather has changed and it's all new to her. She probably thinks she can just wait until it's dry to go. Keep taking her out like you've been doing, but avoid the area she's afraid of completely. Let her decide where she wants to go and you just follow her around. If you're out there for half an hour and she still doesn't go, but you know she needs to then bring her inside and put her in her crate. Take her out again in 15-20 minutes. Keep doing this until she goes, then when she finally goes make a big deal about it with lots of praise and treats. She will eventually realize that there's no getting around it.

You could also try taking her for a short walk rather than just standing in the yard waiting for her to go. She may have to go more badly by the time you get back.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I wrote a reply earlier but apparently it was eaten...

Sometimes puppies get distracted, and like Jen said it may have something to do with the weather. I agree that you should take her out to do her business, and if she doesn't go then bring her in, crate her, and then try again in a few minutes.

Also, sometimes taking a short walk will get the things flowing and then they really have to go. If I take my dog for a walk within an hour of eating, it is a guarantee he'll poop.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts