Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will try to make this as short as possible.

We have a 6.5 year old chihuahua named Bandit. She tolerates other dogs (really just minds her own business), if they get into her space she will let them know with a growl. Our trainer told us this is not aggressive only that she is letting the other dogs that what they are doing is unacceptable.

Last April, we adopted a now 1 year old pug/rat terrier named Piper. She was CRAZY when we first adopted her. We could barely hold her as she would bite us etc. She came from a puppymill and I feel that she was taken away from her litter too early and did not learn bite inhibition. After working with her for several weeks/months she is now a great dog with a few short comings.

Piper has always bothered Bandit in small ways but in July/August of last year we noticed them starting to fight. We still aren't sure what sets it off as it seems like different things each time.

If Piper steps on Bandit, or sometimes Bandit will be standing and Piper will just go to sniff her and lift up one of her hind legs (Piper does not show any respect for personal space). Bandit will let out a small growl to let Piper know that she's not liking the situation.

From here, Piper just clicks. She eggs Bandit on like no tomorrow. Now, she just goes on to Bandit's back and completely encompasses her. Piper is 15lbs and Bandit 7lbs. Bandit does not move (she does not want to fight) she does growl but not excessively. Piper will not move. Once Bandit tries to move at all Piper attacks her.

They are both spayed. At night they sometimes sleep beside eachother.

(We also adopted a male lab in December, and the fighting seemed to stop for a month but now has started up again like it was before. The newest dog does not get involved at all.)

Please help! I need to stop this behaviour NOW! I know this is long but I wanted to give as much information as possible.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
You stop the bullying behavior the second it starts. You don't have to scream and yell...just step into their space and make them move apart. A hard look from you should be enough to make them head for the hills. Consistency is crucial....your house...your rules. This isn't going to stop the growling or the occassional tiff but, the bully behavior should stop almost as soon as it gets started if you follow through.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You stop the bullying behavior the second it starts. You don't have to scream and yell...just step into their space and make them move apart. A hard look from you should be enough to make them head for the hills. Consistency is crucial....your house...your rules. This isn't going to stop the growling or the occassional tiff but, the bully behavior should stop almost as soon as it gets started if you follow through.
When we try to step in they ALWAYS fight. We try to distract Piper and get her to come to us but she won't. When she is like this she doesn't listen to the outside world. Otherwise, she always comes when we call her. Is there something specific I should be doing? I know its something I need to do but I'm not sure what. As I type they are both cuddled up together sleeping.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
We have a 6.5 year old chihuahua named Bandit. She tolerates other dogs (really just minds her own business), if they get into her space she will let them know with a growl. Our trainer told us this is not aggressive only that she is letting the other dogs that what they are doing is unacceptable.
This is correct, and should not be problematic provided the dogs she interacts with are familiar with canine body language and know what that growl means.

Last April, we adopted a now 1 year old pug/rat terrier named Piper. She was CRAZY when we first adopted her. We could barely hold her as she would bite us etc. She came from a puppymill and I feel that she was taken away from her litter too early and did not learn bite inhibition. After working with her for several weeks/months she is now a great dog with a few short comings.

Piper has always bothered Bandit in small ways but in July/August of last year we noticed them starting to fight. We still aren't sure what sets it off as it seems like different things each time.

If Piper steps on Bandit, or sometimes Bandit will be standing and Piper will just go to sniff her and lift up one of her hind legs (Piper does not show any respect for personal space). Bandit will let out a small growl to let Piper know that she's not liking the situation.

From here, Piper just clicks. She eggs Bandit on like no tomorrow. Now, she just goes on to Bandit's back and completely encompasses her. Piper is 15lbs and Bandit 7lbs. Bandit does not move (she does not want to fight) she does growl but not excessively. Piper will not move. Once Bandit tries to move at all Piper attacks her.
You need to start stepping in before Piper clicks... once you notice Bandit becoming tense. Watch her ears and the corner of her mouth. Those are usually the most telling places. This is when you start moving in to their space. You don't need to be violent, just step in between them with possibly a "Hey" or with your hands stretched out in front of you. If you have to, separate them after this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts