Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,793 Posts
Does the place you're adopting from allow trial periods? That would be a great way to have some security that even if things don't work out, you know the dachs can go back to them without any guilt or judgement. Many rescue people understand that sometimes it's just not a good fit with other pets in the household, so if you talk to them about your concerns they might have suggestions, arrange a meet and greet with the two of them in a neutral space, or offer a trial period, even if it's not something they advertise. It's not much of a rescue if you and/or the dogs are miserable with the new arrangements, so prioritizing a harmonious home is absolutely understandable.

Sometimes it is just that a dog doesn't get on with a certain gender, breed, or individual. Pitties are notorious for being rude and pushy, and many have a very physical play style many other dogs don't like (body slamming, etc.), so your beagle could be responding to that (either because your foster was a typical pit mix or because your beagle had previous experience with rude dogs that looked like her). Not saying pits are bad at all, for the record, just that they can be overwhelming for other dogs. Or it might be more about them both being females (which also is fairly common), or just that the two of them individually weren't a good mix. If your beagle seems to be generally okay around other dogs, it's probably worth trying!

Going from one to two was a big change for me, but I added a puppy with higher mental and physical stimulation needs than my older male ever had. It's been a learning curve, especially with figuring out how to give them both one-on-one time with me while making sure the pup (okay, he'll be two this summer) gets his needs met. I can't take them both out at once on my own - the older dog has leash reactivity with other dogs, and the younger is excitable and still needs a lot of focused attention and reinforcement of leash manners or he'll forget himself and regress into hitting the end of the leash or pulling - so if we want to bring them both somewhere my wife has to come. This could be a completely different story for you, with two mature dogs, especially if both have good leash manners already.

In the beginning, we had to reinforce boundaries a lot. The puppy was redirected to other activities or put in a pen for a nap if he was pestering our older boy excessively. The older dog had to be told to 'leave it' if the puppy was actively chewing on something he wanted - in our house, if a dog walks away from a chew or toy, it's fair game, but actively taking something from the other one's mouth is unacceptable. The older dog wasn't allowed to bother the puppy through the pen when it was supposed to be chill/nap time. They still eat separately, which is good practice anyway. If play gets too intense or starting to include rude behavior like humping, they'd both get separated for a while until they cooled down (usually at least one of them was overtired when this happens). This still happens on occasion, but less than it used to. Again, some of this is puppy stuff that you won't have to worry about, but expect to have an adjustment period where you reinforce house rules about dog-dog play, respecting each other's body language, and toy/chew sharing (and with a resource guarder, you may not want to allow edible chews at all unless they're physically separated).

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.