Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 30 lb beagle-basset mix (10 y/o female). I am considering adopting a senior dachsund (10 y/o, male). Both fixed. Do you have any thoughts or advice?

My main concerns are:

- My beagle mix getting along with other dogs: I had a 50# pitbull foster (3 y/o female) who my beagle mix did NOT like. My beagle mix showed food aggression when the other dog came around her bowl, which I dealt with by feeding them separately. That was manageable. Eventually, though, my beagle mix would just get this look in her eye and get angry at the pit (seemingly) out of nowhere. However, my beagle mix's foster mom from before I got her said she had a small, 10# male dog that my beagle mix got along well with. Have any of you had success keeping a female who has a past of not getting along with other female dogs, with a smaller male dog? She does just fine with cats, btw.

- How difficult it is to have two dogs. I felt a little overwhelmed when I had the foster for those 2 months, but it was mostly because I didn't have the time or space to dedicate to her energy levels. And, there was the fighting, of course. With a 10 y/o doxie, it might be different. I have a pretty laidback life and am able to come home at lunchtime and let the dogs out, so I'm not too worried about that. But, I just wanted to know... What's it like having two dogs? Is it easier when the dogs are not big, fat, energetic pitbulls? Hah!

Any thoughts or opinions you want to share is appreciated!

·
Registered
7,336 Posts
Like people, the dynamic between two dogs will be completely dependent on both dogs' temperaments. You can have two dogs who literally want to kill each other, and each of those dogs can potentially share a bed, food, and play session with a different dog.

Predicting does get easier the better you understand each dog's dog sociability and temperament. When I had my 11 yo dog and got a new puppy, I would have bet my paycheck that senior would hate the puppy - because for almost a decade I knew that he was dog selective at best and in general was not social with dogs. I was correct. But they did develop a better relationship than I expected for the short time my senior was still alive. It literally took 6 months of extremely meticulous training and management before things were 'pretty good' between the two. Overall it was pretty easy to raise two of them because my senior did not require much of my time or energy, and his general 'aggression' naturally taught the puppy to keep his boundaries. Right now I have my grown up puppy who is 4 yo, and a new puppy. The dynamics are totally different and I manage a totally new set of challenges. Both are very social but it feels like 3x the amount of work because I need to actively work on teaching each dog boundaries separately, then together, and in different situations. Also both dogs are extremely energetic, and young.

It's also great that you know things about your dog, like the fact that she guards food. It sounds like you have no issues navigating that situation. My advice is to think about the lifestyle you want to lead with two dogs. What activities or routines do you 'need' to have two dogs succeed in? What would be a dealbreaker for you? As an example, some people may not mind having to crate one dog from the other when home alone. Others may see that as a dealbreaker and look for a dog that can be totally loose with their resident dog. It's also worth considering if your current dog has any behaviors that you find a bit bothersome, or areas she may need more training. Any existing behavior challenges can become greater when you add a second dog - routine change, splitting your time, and some degree of dogs learning from each other can cause those behavior changes to happen. So as a general tip people often say not to add a second dog until your first dog is pretty much how you want them to be.

Overall, it's an incredibly complex thing to go from one dog to two, and many things you will never know until you try it with a particular dog. I hope you are able to make a comfortable decision, and end up with two happy pooches!

·
Super Moderator
2,533 Posts
Does the place you're adopting from allow trial periods? That would be a great way to have some security that even if things don't work out, you know the dachs can go back to them without any guilt or judgement. Many rescue people understand that sometimes it's just not a good fit with other pets in the household, so if you talk to them about your concerns they might have suggestions, arrange a meet and greet with the two of them in a neutral space, or offer a trial period, even if it's not something they advertise. It's not much of a rescue if you and/or the dogs are miserable with the new arrangements, so prioritizing a harmonious home is absolutely understandable.

Sometimes it is just that a dog doesn't get on with a certain gender, breed, or individual. Pitties are notorious for being rude and pushy, and many have a very physical play style many other dogs don't like (body slamming, etc.), so your beagle could be responding to that (either because your foster was a typical pit mix or because your beagle had previous experience with rude dogs that looked like her). Not saying pits are bad at all, for the record, just that they can be overwhelming for other dogs. Or it might be more about them both being females (which also is fairly common), or just that the two of them individually weren't a good mix. If your beagle seems to be generally okay around other dogs, it's probably worth trying!

Going from one to two was a big change for me, but I added a puppy with higher mental and physical stimulation needs than my older male ever had. It's been a learning curve, especially with figuring out how to give them both one-on-one time with me while making sure the pup (okay, he'll be two this summer) gets his needs met. I can't take them both out at once on my own - the older dog has leash reactivity with other dogs, and the younger is excitable and still needs a lot of focused attention and reinforcement of leash manners or he'll forget himself and regress into hitting the end of the leash or pulling - so if we want to bring them both somewhere my wife has to come. This could be a completely different story for you, with two mature dogs, especially if both have good leash manners already.

In the beginning, we had to reinforce boundaries a lot. The puppy was redirected to other activities or put in a pen for a nap if he was pestering our older boy excessively. The older dog had to be told to 'leave it' if the puppy was actively chewing on something he wanted - in our house, if a dog walks away from a chew or toy, it's fair game, but actively taking something from the other one's mouth is unacceptable. The older dog wasn't allowed to bother the puppy through the pen when it was supposed to be chill/nap time. They still eat separately, which is good practice anyway. If play gets too intense or starting to include rude behavior like humping, they'd both get separated for a while until they cooled down (usually at least one of them was overtired when this happens). This still happens on occasion, but less than it used to. Again, some of this is puppy stuff that you won't have to worry about, but expect to have an adjustment period where you reinforce house rules about dog-dog play, respecting each other's body language, and toy/chew sharing (and with a resource guarder, you may not want to allow edible chews at all unless they're physically separated).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts