Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first of all is there anything (shampoo, solution, spray) to get a dog that gets a dog to not reek of cigarette smoke? i bathed a dog 3 times today and it still took my breath away to smell him.

and secondly what shoes do you professional groomers wear? i used to wear croc boots but i shrunk one and they don't make them anymore and my shoes have to be solid black. much thanks!

·
Registered
150 Posts

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
There are plenty of close-toed, closed-heel, all-black options from Crocs. Check out their Rx line if you don't find something you like in the regular line.

Febreze works magically on smokey fabrics. Obviously you wouldn't want to actually spray it on the dog, but you could probably spray it on a towel and rub that over the dog, avoiding the head. Here's the sad truth, though: If the dog is going back to a home in which someone smokes, it's just going to smell like that again the second it steps through the door. Fortunately, the owner will probably not notice!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Mix a solution of 3% peroxide 1/3 cup baking soda and 1 tsp dawn dish soap.. this works wonder for skunk and will really cut down on the cigarette smoke.. However I've tried everything.. All you can do is take the odor. it wont go away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can tone the smell down but if they live in a smoker's home, they'll still smell of it. They're breathing it in, it's 'skin deep' from the inside out and it's just going to stay. They'll be laying on the carpet, couch or beds that are saturated with smoke so any freshness won't last but a minute until they get back home.

I've had luck taking the edge off with Grimenator shampoo, or Davis baking soda shampoo. Just let them soak in it, wash down twice soaking each time.

For shoes in the winter I wear Doc Martin boots. Very waterproof and slip free. in summer I just wear my gym shoes or what not.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I hate sending dogs home smelling like they came in, so you've asked the right person.

I like Bark 2 Basics Citrus Plus for 'tough smells'...B2B products are all natural, and contain no harsh chemicals.

Another one that works well is Lambert Kay's Oatmeal and Baking Soda Shampoo

With any and all 'deoderizing shampoo' you want to make sure to bath the dog thoroughly then reapply shampoo, and let soak for 5-10 minutes. Don't 'rush' through bathing stinky pets; if you feel like he needs a third bath to extinquish a bit more stink, go for it; just because mom or dad won't notice, YOU should, because it's what you do as a groomer; and it should make you feel fabulous when you finally snuff that smell out!

I do a Yorkie every 8 weeks that gives me a headache, literally, when I start her, she smells so bad, but by the time I'm done with her, I can hug and kiss her all over and have no problems...no awful smell left in her skin or coat, so it CAN be done.

As far as shoes, I buy shoes that are comfortable, and have adequate arch and support; Even with 'sandals' I choose something with comfort and support in mind. I have bad joints, and muscles, so that is extremely important.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I hate sending dogs home smelling like they came in, so you've asked the right person.

I like Bark 2 Basics Citrus Plus for 'tough smells'...B2B products are all natural, and contain no harsh chemicals.

Another one that works well is Lambert Kay's Oatmeal and Baking Soda Shampoo

With any and all 'deoderizing shampoo' you want to make sure to bath the dog thoroughly then reapply shampoo, and let soak for 5-10 minutes. Don't 'rush' through bathing stinky pets; if you feel like he needs a third bath to extinquish a bit more stink, go for it; just because mom or dad won't notice, YOU should, because it's what you do as a groomer; and it should make you feel fabulous when you finally snuff that smell out!

I do a Yorkie every 8 weeks that gives me a headache, literally, when I start her, she smells so bad, but by the time I'm done with her, I can hug and kiss her all over and have no problems...no awful smell left in her skin or coat, so it CAN be done.

As far as shoes, I buy shoes that are comfortable, and have adequate arch and support; Even with 'sandals' I choose something with comfort and support in mind. I have bad joints, and muscles, so that is extremely important.
I love B2B shampoos.. They are awesome.. Especially the citrus one. :)

I would avoid using any shampoo with oatmeal in it more than twice a year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts