Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I feel like I broke the cardinal rule and got a second puppy. We now have a 5 month old Dachshund and a 2 month old Corgi. I just got done reading a lot of nightmares about having two puppies and hope I can pull through it. Our Dachshund has been socialized and greets new people and puppies with his body low, tail wagging, and rolling over. With the Corgi if we are holding her he wants to be all up in her face but not showing aggression, just being annoying. I understand it is best to crate them separately and I am prepared to do so. I am also going to walk and train them separately. The Dachshund is just about fully potty trained but can be stubborn at times going outside. If we keep a tight lead he usually goes quicker. He is very distracted outside and is always looking for something to do or someone to see and is very social. My main thing is I do not want them to cling to each other and think we are not the leaders. Currently they are sleeping together because her crate is too small and we came home to find her on top of it one day (I set up a pen so she could step out and potty). I am wondering if when crating them separately it is ok to allow them to see each other? The corgi is definitely a vocalist and lets you know she is not happy. Just looking for some tips to make sure they grow up together but have good mental health in the future. Sorry for the long post I feel like more info will only give me better responses :). Cheers!

- Ethan

·
Registered
2 Posts
We did it 11 years ago and actually had siblings that were 7 wks old. We crated them together but trained them separately. Although they loved each other one bonded more to me and one more to my husband. Keeping them apart may backfire on you and have them not socialize with each other. Having 2 puppies at once is a lot of work right now we have two that are rescues but give them some time and you will find that they will not cling to each other but grow up to be great friends. By the way, they both saw me husband as the leader despite one being more bonded to me. Double the trouble you bet but double the fun and love

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We did it 11 years ago and actually had siblings that were 7 wks old. We crated them together but trained them separately. Although they loved each other one bonded more to me and one more to my husband. Keeping them apart may backfire on you and have them not socialize with each other. Having 2 puppies at once is a lot of work right now we have two that are rescues but give them some time and you will find that they will not cling to each other but grow up to be great friends. By the way, they both saw me husband as the leader despite one being more bonded to me. Double the trouble you bet but double the fun and love
What's funny about that is the Dachshund is like that with me because I walk, feed, train, and treat him 95% of the time. The wifey fed/potty once/day with him and still does. The corgi however is always settled when the wifey holds her. With me she is all about moving around, biting my earlobes/hair, and chewing my pants. Hopefully once we start the potty training outside (isn't vaccinated and multiple dogs walk around the area) she will cling to me more ;).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts