Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I posted awhile back about my puppy which I got at seven weeks and he is now 14 weeks. He's been doing great and we've been working through basic obedience and going on nice walks since he's got all his shots and I'm glad to have him and excited to see him grow...

I got him from a lady I work with who had a litter of six puppies. She just came in to my office, furious and told me that a good friend of hers who took one of the other puppies has decided they don't want it anymore and she asked if I knew anyone who would give it a good home.

What are the general thoughts on raising two puppies at once? I'm considering it though I'd have to adjust my lifestyle around it even more but they would be brothers and I can see both positives and negatives.

Any feedback is appreciated. I really just don't want to see it end up another Dallas stray.

Brandon

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Generally it's not a good idea. BUT, if you have time to double up on training, time to spend with each of them individually, time to keep up with both of their house breaking - then go for it. Having been through this before I would highly discourage it.

·
Registered
395 Posts
If you've really, really thought this thing through and can handle training them both, vetting them, feeding them, and if your schedule will work with the chaos of bringing yet another puppy into the home... then things will probably go pretty good for you, so long as the puppies get along (and seeing as they're brothers, it doesn't seem unlikely that they'll go well together).

BUT puppies are a *lot* of work, vet bills, food, and time, as I'm sure you know from your current pup. Just make sure you can handle it... and if you do choose to get another one, then I wish you good luck on them both! :)

·
Registered
435 Posts
I've thought of that myself and decided to wait until she is at a year old until I get another one.But if it works for you,good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've thought of that myself and decided to wait until she is at a year old until I get another one.But if it works for you,good luck!
Well this is sort of a special situation as I was not considering it... I mean I've thought about it, but it's only surfacing because of the lady who just wants to give hers away because she "changed her mind".

Brandon

·
Registered
640 Posts
I can speak to this because we have two littermates in addition to our older dog. The short answer is, IT IS WONDERFUL!!!!

We didn't intend to get two puppies. But, we fell in love with two from the same litter and just couldn't decide. So, shaking ourselves at how crazy we were and twice as poorer as we'd thought we'd be, we drove home with two. My husband asked me while we were deciding, "Are you sure you can handle two? One puppy is a handfull... two is just... way more than a handfull...." I went into it fully expecting to get no sleep for months, to be constantly training and watching and cleaning, etc.

Instead, it's been an absolute dream. The boys love having each other as playmates. They play so hard that it makes my job of keeping them well exercised much EASIER. They are learning so quickly because they learn things from each other (and our older pup). There is NO separation anxiety (even though they are velcro dogs when we're home)... I just give them each a stuffed puppy Kong, close them in, and they placidly watch me leave without so much as a whimper.

Yes, the food and vet bills are double... but it's honestly not as bad as I would have thought. The benefits so totally outweigh any minimal extra cost or inconvenience. They are sleeping in bed with us now, and let me tell you, nothing in the world is sweeter than cuddling yourself to sleep with a living little teddy bear, or to be awaked by sweet puppy kisses and tail wags. Double the puppies are double the joy! :)

I wouldn't recommend it for everyone or for every breed (Standard Poodles are geniuses, so they've made my job super-easy). But, in your case, your puppy is 14 weeks and well trained... taking in another puppy who can learn quickly from not just you but the other puppy as well, is nothing near as hard as it was for us bringing home two 8-week-olds, and even then it's been a ton of joy, so for you I'm sure it will be very doable!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts