Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took in a male pekingese I am guessing he is about 1 year. His original owner passed away and whoever cleaned out the house just put the dog outside to roam. Someone picked him up, got him to the vet to have him updated on his shots, but she couldn't keep him. So I took him.

One problem I have with him is I don't think he likes me. He is great with the kids and anyone else, just not me. He growls at me if I tell him to go to his crate, which he gets violently crazy if I try to close it, so I don't close it anymore. I have offered him toys, treats to get him to be sweet, but it hasn't worked. He needed a bath and got very aggressive towards me. Yes, he has bitten me. I don't want to get bit again, so I don't push him, but he still needs to be obedient. I want to keep him, but I need to know how to get him to stop growling at me.

The other problem is he has marked his territory. I have since got him some belly bands, (male dog diapers) which he growls at me when I put them on. Sometimes they are wet. I know I will have to work with him on this, but I can't be here all the time. I don't want to put diapers on him forever either. Please tell me this will stop.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Are you a man or a woman? Sometimes dogs are more fearful of men.

I'd start from scratch, building trust (drop high value treats as you walk past him. Keep some with you, and if he approaches you, toss him one). That will make him start associating you with good things. Make sure you are the one to feed him. Start each feeding by giving him some by hand. Then put the bowl down for him. Take him for walks on a leash.

Practice crate training, by feeding him in there (w/door open at first), and giving him treats in there.

Housebreak by walking after playing, eating, and at regular times during the day. Keep him in sight of you at all times and get rid of the belly band. If he starts to sniff/circle, take him out. If he has an accident, calmly take him out. Do not yell/rub his nose in it. Contain him in a room using a toddler gate or ex pen, where you have solid floors (bathroom/utility rm/part of a kitchen) when you are gone. At a year, he should be able to "hold it" for 8 hrs if needed. Consider neutering if he isn't already, and he is "marking".

Start NILF.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am a woman, mom with 3 kids and my husband is not much of a dog person. I am the primary caretaker and need him to be sweet to me. I have tried the treats although since he last bit me I have kind of chilled with him giving him some space. My living room, kitchen and dining room, the main rooms we live in is all open so it is hard to watch him every second. Plus having the rest of the family get on board can be tough too, but we will keep trying. When I get firm with him he growls at me and he won't always take treats from me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts