Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! New to the forum and looking forward to interacting with you all.

We went to a puppy adoption day hosted by the local dog rescue that gets "death row" dogs from kill shelters and adopts them out. We had intended on trying to find an adult dog that could be a companion for our lab mix, but we ended up coming home with two 10-11 week old puppies instead, bringing our grand total of dogs up to 6.

They've been doing really well so far, love playing with each other and get along great with our other dogs. The previously mentioned lab mix has totally taken on a big brother kind of role - you can tell he wants to play with them but he knows he's too big, so they'll run up to him and try to tackle him and play he'll just stand there and occasionally reach a paw out :laugh: Whenever I go into the room they sleep in, I only had to wait about 10 seconds before I heard a creak and he had opened the door and sneaked in to check on us. Maybe he's a little jealous. Anyway, we're really enjoying these pups.

Since they were rescues we're not really sure what either of them are, mix wise. The shelter told us that they were about 10-11 weeks old. I was hoping some of you might be able to give us a little insight into what you see in our dogs, as far as breeds go?

This is the female, Lucy:

Lucy, is around 11 pounds and we're really stumped about her, she looks a little boxer-ish, a little boston-terrier-ish, maybe even a little pit, but she's super slender and not at all stocky. Her ears are very tall. And she's got bright blue eyes. She's very rambunctious and loves to fetch and wrestle around. She also climbs straight into your lap.

This is the male, Chester:

Chester is really thick and we thought maybe some Lab/Shepherd going on? His litter mate looked like him but wasn't quite as chunky and was all solid black. Chester is not quite as energetic as Lucy, but he does like to play around with Lucy and he'll really go at it. Otherwise he generally would prefer to find a comfy spot to sleep. He's also really smart, and has already picked up a few basic commands in the 1.5 days we've had him.

And here they are togehter:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm no expert but when I was searching for my puppy I came across a litter of confirmed Pit/Lab pups and they looked just like Chester! Regardless, they are both adorable and I'm so happy for you. :)

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Yeah, I'd believe pit/Lab for Chester. Lucy. . .Boxer/Husky? Although you'd think she'd be about the same size as him if they're the same age.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Lucy's eyes are amazing :)

I see boxer in Lucy, that's the first thing that came to mind when I saw the first photo, before I read any of the text. Dunno about Chester, but I would think lab or golden x with something else...

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Might be the hour, but I don't get it?
Pretty sure Zhaor says that every time a husky mix pops up.

And, Alaskan Huskies are intentional crosses bred for the purpose of sport and work. They don't just happen. Therefore not really an Alaskan Husky. lol.

But I could agree that Pit X Lab for Chester and a Boxer X Husky for Lucy, though she does look a little bit like a boston.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Welcome to the forum and good job for you for adopting those two looking nice breeds! In Lucy, I see a Pit/Boxer mix (maybe some AmStaff mix too). I don't see any part of Husky in Lucy (even though she has blue eyes which any breed can have). And in Chester, I see Lab mix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all of your opinions!

I could see Pit/Lab for Chester, too. Actually, that's what we think our other lab mix is. I forgot to mention that the shelter said they thought he had Coonhound in him. I'm not sure if they said that because they knew what his mom was or if they were just guessing.

Lucy really throws me off because of her build, but some sort of Boxer mix seems to be the general consensus from most people we've talked too, which you all have reinforced. :)

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
Puppy breed guesses are such wild guesses. Your puppy Chester looks very very similar to some puppies we recently had come through rescue which had a KNOWN Rottweiler for a mom. We've guessed hound dog for the father, esp. given that coonhounds are fairly common in the area. His ears are much more "pittie" than our rescue pups' ears but similar facial structure and body. I'm not saying your dog has Rottie in him, I'm using this as an example as why it would be hard to guess more specific than "lab/pit/hound/?" mix :)

I have no good guess for Lucy's mix, she's got some very unique combo of features.

·
Banned
1,767 Posts
Magic 8-Ball says: Passive-aggressive mocking is a possibility.
Was there anything to mock?

I suppose the fact that the smiley is called rolleyes could be mocking.
Really I just use it cause I like that smirk when I post something stupid. Kind of like a trollface/Kappa emoticon. I tend to ignore smiley names and use them based more on how they look. Guess I should find a different smiley.

Out of all the smileys here, we don't really have a good trollface smiley. I suppose I could use :p but I really don't like how this version of it looks.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
OK now that we've cleared up what the rolling eyes emoticon might translate as, I still don't get the original comment. What about Alaskans? I have one, yes? He is brindle like one of the pups here? I'm honestly asking because I can't link to how commenting about how cute these two puppies are has any thing to do with Alaskans or directly me, and like Sass says it reads as passive aggressive mocking except.. I still don't get it.

ETA: And then HollowHeaven's follow up reads to me implying that Sham is not an Alaskan and I'm some how some giant fool for saying it, but I can't for the life of me figure out wtf that has to do with this thread. If someone could kindly explain.

·
Banned
1,767 Posts
I think HH was more saying how me saying they're Alaskan is incorrect.

I was quoting more the "I can't help you" part than how you said they were cute. Like I said, I was just knowingly being stupid. Feel free to forget this whole mess :)

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
I recall a comment in a previous thread that due to the varied appearance of the pumpkin pie litter, that the new default "god only knows what breed" breed guess would be Alaskan husky. So no matter if the dog looks like a pug or a great dane, the guess is alaskan husky now (as a joke)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts