Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... attempted sleeps, before I go to pick up my new Pup.

He's about a five hour drive away. Any suggestions on how I should go about this drive? I have a crate for him. Should I keep the crate in the front seat where I can see him, if possible, or should he be okay in the back of my hatchback? Should I give a any treats or chews as we go? I wouldn't want him to get sick in the car.

Just some thoughts...

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
How exciting! You know we'll want pics!! I'd crate him, putting in an old blanket and an old shirt with your scent on it to get him used to your smell. I wouldn't feed him anything. He'll be okay until you get home. You could offer him some water part way through the trip, but be prepared for him to refuse it, since he'll be scared. Since it's 5 hours, he may need to go potty along the way, but be careful where you put him down, since he hasn't had all his shots yet. I'd avoid public dog walking areas.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't worry there will be pics. I'm a part-time photographer and I can't wait to get my lens on that cute face.
Good suggestion about the old shirt. Thanks.
Should I be talking to him as we go? I'm thinking if he's whimpering and I start sweet taking to him he'll start to think that whimpering will get him attention. It just seems so cruel not to though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts