Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently we're feeding our dog two handfuls of dog food three times a day right now. I am going to ask our vet when we knock it down to two times a day, but my question is that we think this is a lot for our dog since he is growing, but he woofs it down and then looks at us for more.

Two handfuls of food is a lot, so why does he look up at us as if he's still hungry? He loves his food....umm...I'm not getting it. Help?

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Two "handfuls" is hard to know the actual amount you are giving the dog. I would try using a measuring cup to measure feedings. Also, depending on the breed, some dogs always seem hungry and are very food motivated. Also, what are you feeding? Most dogs can do with two meals per day around 6 months of age.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
briteday--sorry I guess it is hard to judge. I guess my hand is an average size woman's hand. We're currently feeding Luke Pro Plan and he does love it and his breed is a Coton de Tulear.

Okay so we'll do a measuring cup and he's 4mon old. So how much do we feed a 4mon old? And it stops by 6mon, okay thanks! :)

·
Registered
566 Posts
The back of the bag should tell you how much to feet him. Not all foods are created equal, so the feeding guidlines are different with each food, weight of the dog and age of the dog.

I'm feeding my Cavalier mix with bichon California naturals. She weights 8 pounds and 4 months old. Their feeding guidelines state that I shoudl feed her 1 1/8 of a cup. Because I give her treats during the day for training purposes I cut that down to a cup a day. I've noticed though that during her last meal of the day that she doesn't eat everything. So I'm sure if I fed her 7/8 of a cup a day, she'd be fine.

I feed her twice a day.

·
Banned
1,934 Posts
I wouldn't feed Pro Plan. It's a mid to low grade food with lots of ingredients to avoid- "animal" fat, by-products, menadione bisulfite (artificial vitamin K shown to cause health problems), animal digest and corn gluten meal.

Some better brands are:

Eagle Pack Holistic
Wellness
Natural Balance
California Natural
Innova
Orijen
Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul
Before Grain.

Definitely use a measuring cup. Usually the recommendations on the back of dog food bags are too high, so I would feed a little less than that.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did look at the bag to see what we should be feeding Luke and it said only one cup or one and a half, but he always looks at us for more. Right now we can't give him treats because he's just getting better from having diarrhea; I'm going to restart to give him treats the week after this next week.

We had him on Buffalo Blue (or blue buffalo) but the cost was way too much even though I opted to pay for it, so our vet said she uses Pro Plan for her dog and he's lasted a long time and my co-worker uses it and her Rottie is living longer than the normal lifespan of a Rottie. So that's why we switched to that.

luvntzus--the only one I heard of that you named is Wellness. And that's in our pet stores. Thanks for your replies everyone. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts