Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Let's start with my friends dog. She has a 3 year old boxer who just a few weeks ago decided that he was going to start urinating in his crate! She exercises him adequately and always takes him out to relieve himself before she puts him in his crate, but for the past few weeks as soon as she shuts the door to the crate... he pees! Even though he already peed outside! He has never done it before! It is a new development. Any ideas what might be going on here? (it's not a UTI she already checked that out)

AND... than there is my dog... she also gets adequate exercise, as my friend and I walk our dogs together and let them off at the dog park every day ( We Do NOT live together however) My dog's problem is she barks at EVERYTHING! Outside the house she is fine, but inside the house she barks at people outside, she barks at any noises that come from outside, she has even recently started barking at the door bell on the TV! Bark bark bark bark! i have tried the whole making her sit in a designated spot when the door bell rings and treating her when she does so quietly, but that only worked for a short period of time. She also continuously barks at people she does not know when they enter the house. It is embarrassing because i have tried taking her for a long walk when I know I am going to have guests, I have tried crating her when people come over. I have tried leashing her when people come over and give her a chew toy to distract her but the chew toy is neglected, she prefers to jsut bark bark bark!

She did come to me as a rescue dog and there was suspicion that her previous owners did not treat her well. When she is in trouble and I even look at her with even a slight bit of anger she shuts down. She is a submissive dog, but once she starts barking she just wont stop! I have had her for almost two years now (she is believed to be 4 yrs old)... each technique I have used has worked for a short period of time and than BAM back to the barking!

HELP!!!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Let's work on the barking. You say you've tried all the techinques to stop the barking which sounds like fear, low confidence, anxiety barking. What exactly have you done to build her confidence to those scary situations?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the most part I ask my guests to ignore her. Those that come more often I have little treats that they can give her. She warms up to people very quickly. after three or four times of meeting them she LOVES them! but she still barks at the door until she know who it is. No one has EVER come through that door and hurt her (to my knowledge). As soon as the door bell rings or someone knocks on the door, or even the sound of my roommate putting her key in the lock sets the dog off. She will bark until she knows who it is and if it is someone that she hasn't seen that much or doesn't know she will continue to bark. She used to jump on the couch and pee on the couch. She still sometimes pees on the floor when someone new enters, but for the most part that is over and done with. I have also tried having everybody that comes to the door give her treats, even the UPS guy. But she just runs away. If someone approaches her she tries her darndest to get away or shuts down and soils herself.
I have tried having someone ring the bell and I make her sit and treat her for being quiet than open the door and have them give her a treat (repeated with a friend ringing the bell) but nothing seems to work. I have tried having my neighbor stand outside the open kitchen window and make a racket and have my dog sit and endour it and show her that the noise won't hurt her. I don't want to baby her because I know that babying can lead to her thinking that these actions are okay when they are not. She has come a long way with me in the past two years. She went from HATING walks! trying to get out of her leash and run away (even succeeded once at Petco THANK GOD she ran right back to my car!!!), she also used to destroy furniture, that is fixed (still likes to eat remotes if left out of her crate while I am at class), She used to soil herself everytime someone came in the front door...she only does this if a NEW person approaches her in the house. Outside of the house she is an angel! It's the noises and things that set off the barking that need fixed (she also spazzes! out in her crate when I come home...she is never in her crate for more than 4 hours) (I walk her for an hour in the morning than 20 minutes around noon and then to the park in the evening....)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts