Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just started clicker training, and wow, have my dogs caught on to click=treat!

Needed info:
  • I have 2 dogs, Molly (13 y.o. Golden Retriever) and Max (5 y.o. Black Lab).

• Both are food obsessed. If they can figure out what I want them to do, they'll do anything in their power to get the food. Molly spent several hours trying to get into a glass salsa jar. The lid had deep dents in it.

• I live in the basement of a house. The dogs are not allowed upstairs.
Here's the problem: I don't have a lot of space. If Molly can hear me clicker training with Max, even in a separate room, she starts whining, barking, and scratching violently at the door. She knows that the click means food, and she acts like she hasn't eaten in days. I've tried training Max just after feeding them, but she still goes crazy. She barks (loudly) and scratches at the door for a few minutes if I take Max out without her. But training Max outside isn't a great idea because he's not ready for distraction training. He's just learning.

Max has only just figured out that actions=click and treat, so I really don't want to get him a different sound, but it's looking like that's my only option.

I've had both dogs since they were puppies (well, my family did). Molly hasn't shown any other signs of separation anxiety since her first night with us. She's been left alone before while I take Max to the vet, but until the clicker training, she's never had a problem being left behind.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Teach "food zen". In order to get the treat, you back off of it, not demand it. Demanding results in . . . nothing. If you cannot separate the dogs to train, tether the non-working dog so s/he can't be too "wrong". Then treat the non-working dog for staying on their spot (bed/rug) while the other dog is working. If the dog gets off the place, they get . . . nothing. But get a treat when they go back to it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
This is basically what Pawzk9 just said to do, but sometimes a video helps:
Training Multiple Dogs by Kikopup

I've been meaning to train Brittany and Bello this. I figure once I get to three dogs, I'll do it. ;D But I love procrastinating. For now I lock them in seperate rooms, and Brittany, if she hears me clicker training Bello, sounds like she is about to bust the door down while trying to get out.

·
Registered
173 Posts
It drives me nuts to hear the other dog barking and whining. I just can't focus on the one I am training. I gotta teach this soon, or I will go nuts. One of my 2 is a beagle, teaching Doggie Zen, he picked up barking at me if I was not treating him for success often enough, I will be shocked if he ever settles around dogs being trained.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My dogs all watch the others train. They all have a solid stay and get rewarded randomly for staying in place, though it probably helps that I only have one dog that hears LOL. The deaf dogs get a LED light flashed in their direction for a "click" so they have no issues deciphering who's training :)

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
It drives me nuts to hear the other dog barking and whining. I just can't focus on the one I am training. I gotta teach this soon, or I will go nuts. One of my 2 is a beagle, teaching Doggie Zen, he picked up barking at me if I was not treating him for success often enough, I will be shocked if he ever settles around dogs being trained.
I hope you just turned your back and made the food unavailable for barking? Then lowered criteria?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts