Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, we have four people in our household (well three as my brother is with his girlfriend a lot) and I'm the only one Luke "hugs". I call it "hugging", but it's real term is....ewww...humping. Sorry I hate saying that word. I hear it's a sign of dominance and/or sexual reasons.

I would really like to know why I'm the only one he does it too. He does my arms and legs and like always I shove him off of me saying "no" or "stop". I stop playing with him as he does this or move my limbs away from him. My parents help share his duties too as walking, feeding, playing, so how come he only "hugs" me?

My second question comes with seeing the myth thread, I was teaching Luke the "watch me" command and told another trainer I do this (maybe I shouldn't have told her that as she got a bit cool with me) and told me this is a sign of dominance and to stop it. So I have, but should I really? She says to make a high pitch noise to get his attention, well I can't because sometimes I say "good boy" in a high pitch tone of voice or "come here Lukey!". So again should I reteach him it? I'm sure he remembers it.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I would really like to know why I'm the only one he does it too. He does my arms and legs and like always I shove him off of me saying "no" or "stop". I stop playing with him as he does this or move my limbs away from him. My parents help share his duties too as walking, feeding, playing, so how come he only "hugs" me?
Because you're the only one who allows it? Your timing for correction is way off. You stop it BEFORE it starts...which is what the others are probably doing.

My second question comes with seeing the myth thread, I was teaching Luke the "watch me" command and told another trainer I do this (maybe I shouldn't have told her that as she got a bit cool with me) and told me this is a sign of dominance and to stop it. So I have, but should I really? She says to make a high pitch noise to get his attention, well I can't because sometimes I say "good boy" in a high pitch tone of voice or "come here Lukey!". So again should I reteach him it? I'm sure he remembers it.

Thanks all.

The Watch Me command is a very common approach in attention training...it's not dominance....it's shared eye contact...becoming a team.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tooney--Luke doesn't "hug" anyone but me. It's not that they stop it before it happens, it's just that he doesn't bother with them, only me. So when I see him jumping up, paws inward a bit, I'll rein him in. That's what you mean by stop it early correct?

And thank you for your answer to the second question, I'll keep it that part of the training. He did remember it as I said it to him in PetsMart. So what happens if we go to this trainer, do I say the "watch me" command is better for us or just take what she knows and still apply it to the other one without telling her?

Thanks again. :)

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
My dogs that "hug" (B'asia and Mia) only do it to certain other dogs. B'asia does it to Jaia - and Mia does it to B'asia and Jaia. Neither one does it to the people.

Are you "playful" with Luke? Do you think he considers you a playmate? Because it's usually a play behavior.

"Hugging" isn't a sign of dominance or sexual behavior. It's a sign of play (Kind of like the kid wearing a cape made out of a tablecloth and a crown from Burger King claiming to be "King of the Hill"). Or it can be from excitement (not sexual). He may do it to you because he likes you and wants to play. Or because he's excited to see you. But Tooney's right, if you want to stop him, you have to catch him before he starts. Take note of when he does it and be ready to correct him before he gets started. :)

I don't know what the other trainer is talking about. Watch me is an excellent way to teach focus. To dogs who don't know each other, direct eye contact can be a threat, but you're not a dog and you know each other well. Eye contact is fine among friends. :)

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
So what happens if we go to this trainer, do I say the "watch me" command is better for us or just take what she knows and still apply it to the other one without telling her?
Your trainer is correct that happy tones are a good attention device.
Some other attention getters are treats, toys, whispering, unusual sounds like smacking your lips, clucking your tongue......use every tool at your disposal to get and keep the attention.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
=Spirit_of_Cotons;584057]Tooney--Luke doesn't "hug" anyone but me. It's not that they stop it before it happens, it's just that he doesn't bother with them, only me. So when I see him jumping up, paws inward a bit, I'll rein him in. That's what you mean by stop it early correct?

That, if it works, or otherwise remove yourself from Luke's access. It may be that he gets over excited with you, which is one reason why dogs hump. I would distract, and redirect to a wanted behavior at the very first indication that he's going to start.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FourIsCompany--Yes, I'm playful with Luke but not to the degree my father is with him. I guess he would consider me a playmate as we play together, I feed him, walk him the most.

poodleholic--I can't remove myself from Luke b/c right now I'm upstairs and I hear him whining downstairs. He's fine without me when I leave for work, but other wise he'll whine a bit. But yes, I do know that he has to get used to being without me. I don't want a dog with separation anxiety!

Thanks for your replies everyone; I will use them definitely! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts