Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Money is a bit tight at the moment, and I have been thinking about switching Sydney over to a less expensive food, like 4health. Chloe has to stay on TOTW because she does great on it and hasn't had a loose poo since my mother snuck her some unapproved people food. But I'm pretty sure Sydney could eat rocks and still thrive lol. I want to start getting a small bag of TOTW and a bag of 4Health for each dog.

Does anyone else have their dogs on individual diets?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Usually big bags are far cheaper per pound than small bags. Sure you will save money doing this?

I cooked for Sassy and Max gets raw. When Artie was here I gave him kibble. No biggie. When the dogs were on kibble I did give Sassy the kidney kibble and Max regular for a couple months.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Usually big bags are far cheaper per pound than small bags. Sure you will save money doing this?
+1. Sometimes the smallest bag costs 2-3 times as much per pound as the largest bag. If you've been buying the big bag, buying 2 small bags (even if one is a cheaper food) may end up costing a lot more.

But as for feeding 2 different foods, sure, why not? As long as they don't have a habit of switching bowls mid-meal, the only problem is that it might be slightly less convenient for you.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I've always had at least two dogs and it's rare to have all on one food.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Two dogs, two different foods. Zoey is only 5-6 months so she is on puppy food, TOTW right now. Luke is on a rotation diet, eating Back 2 Basics right now. Will probably be seeing how Zoey does on rotation in the next 3-4 weeks, but I plan on having her on puppy food until she is at least a year old. After that, will just have to see which dog does best on what and what we can afford.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It'd be more cost effective to just buy a big bag of each and have to buy it less often. Small bags are usually almost as much as the big bangs for far less food.

My puppy is on different food than the other two. It's never caused us an issue as I don't allow them to switch bowls anymore anyway since the big dog was eating gobs and gobs and the little one wasn't and the big one was getting fat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts