Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I've had my heart set on a giant schnauzer for a while now, but a breeder friend of mine is pushing for me to get a bouvier instead. The thing is a bouvier is my DREAM but I think they might be too serious for what I want right now which is why I went with the GS instead. Based on more research, I think I might be wrong. I LOVE both breeds, and would take either one, but I'm not sure about contacting breeders for two different breeds.

I've already started reaching out to GS breeders, would it be bad form to reach out to bouvier breeders as well? My chances of getting a puppy when I want it will be increased but I'm just not sure. Has anyone done this? How did it turn out?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I reached out to both rescues and a breeder when I was looking for my first dog. (Not quite the same, but yeah)
I don't think it's bad form to look at other options unless you've put a deposit down on a litter and have a relationship with a specific breeder I think it's a good idea to not put all your eggs in one basket.

I don't think it would hurt anything to reach out and talk with some Bouvier breeders and ask questions from them personally. It's probably a better resource than internet googling anyway!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Ok so I've had my heart set on a giant schnauzer for a while now, but a breeder friend of mine is pushing for me to get a bouvier instead. The thing is a bouvier is my DREAM but I think they might be too serious for what I want right now which is why I went with the GS instead. Based on more research, I think I might be wrong. I LOVE both breeds, and would take either one, but I'm not sure about contacting breeders for two different breeds.

I've already started reaching out to GS breeders, would it be bad form to reach out to bouvier breeders as well? My chances of getting a puppy when I want it will be increased but I'm just not sure. Has anyone done this? How did it turn out?
If you can't handle a bouvier, don't get one. (Not to sound rude)

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It's not that I can't handle one, I can, it's more about the differences in personality. I can appreciate both the serious side in the bouvier and the goofy (as it's been described to me) side of the GS, and the energy levels of both. I don't prefer one over the other really, if I do it's for minor reasons. I just ask because you usually hear about people being set on just one breed, not two and I don't know how/if it complicates the search. I know they are more similar than different which is why I'm now considering both.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I don't think it complicates things unless you don't make your decision on what breed you want until reeally late.
Talking with the other breeder will help fill in the blanks for a lot of questions you have about Bouviers from first hand experience to help you make that decision.

If you still can't decide until last minute I'd say that's shady of you, but having an open communication with both breeders in trying to learn about/whether a dog that suits you is very normal.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
It's not a problem to reach out to multiple breeders. I wouldn't even necessarily say that I was in contact with other breeders until I was on somebody's waiting list. At that point you need to be upfront about things, though you can still be on multiple wait lists. Just tell breeder A that they are your first pick, but if the litter doesn't work out you're on breeder B's list as well (and tell breeder B that they are your backup for the other litter). I do think you have to have a priority either way though, and let the breeder's know that. If you're just looking for whatever puppy you can get sooner, then that's fine - just make sure to be upfront about it.

I would use this time to meet dogs of both breeds and see what you really want. As far as I know they are pretty similar in temperament but I don't have a ton of experience with them either.

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
bouvier's were always a dream dog for me. First dog I ever got attacked by and dragged across a field by lol lol ... """ Germany doing decoy work with the local K-9""""" was 20 years old just new to the Military K9 program, only 110lbs lol .. didn't stand a chance.. but I love it :) :) :) I couldn't get past the grooming needs at that time I was considering one for a personal dog.. Promise lots of pictures if you get one especially puppy pics...

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bouvier's were always a dream dog for me. First dog I ever got attacked by and dragged across a field by lol lol ... """ Germany doing decoy work with the local K-9""""" was 20 years old just new to the Military K9 program, only 110lbs lol .. didn't stand a chance.. but I love it
I couldn't get past the grooming needs at that time I was considering one for a personal dog.. Promise lots of pictures if you get one especially puppy pics...
Of course I'll share pictures!!!

I contacted the breed club asking for breeder names and so far they have been extremely helpful and full of tons of information. I'll be making my official choice shortly I'm sure :)

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
Colorado Springs, CO Sunrise Kennels is a boarding/training facilities Don't think Doug is showing his dogs think it's his Son (s) Been 15 years since I lived there, Use to see his dogs at the shows when I was showing, and his dogs were on site at the boarding facility when I was doing PP training there...

Maybe " sibe " could take a look or pictures for you since they live there ?????

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, after reaching out to the Bouvier breed club and getting tons of useful info from the contact person there, and speaking on the phone to a couple bouv breeders, I have decided the Bouvier will better fit my needs! I am so impressed by their prompt responses and kindness, something I did not receive from Giant Schnauzer breeders I contacted, and one of the breeders I talked to wants me to keep in touch and ask any questions that come to mind :) I'll be trying to officially get on a waiting list once I've talked to all the breeders I emailed should any more respond, but I really like this one. I don't want to pick the first option presented though so I'm taking my time.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
That's great! It's really nice to feel welcomed into a breed community. I've met a lot of very nice people through my breed and hopefully you do too.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's great! It's really nice to feel welcomed into a breed community. I've met a lot of very nice people through my breed and hopefully you do too.
I was really surprised, I was expecting much more of an almost "clinical" screening, like what you hear about with rescues sometimes, but they just asked a few questions and I told them about myself and asked my own. It felt very natural :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts