Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My nearly 17 year old dog will be put to sleep on Wednesday at 8:00 pm. She started going downhill this weekend, and isn't improving (kidney failure), so my family feels putting her to sleep is in her best interest.
I don't remember a time without her, I was three when we got her. I can't really express how sad I feel, she's like my little sister.
This is the first time I've had to put an animal to sleep, and I hope I never have to make such a decision again. I never imagined having to choose my dog's death. I'm hoping she will pass before Wednesday, but at the same time, I want to be there with her, and I don't want her to be in any pain or discomfort.

I'm trying to prepare myself for the days to come, but I don't think anything can really prepare me for this. Does anyone know where I can get some water from the fountain of youth? :(

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
*hugs* I know of no way to stop this tough thing from happening, but I just wanted to express how sorry I am that you had to come to this decision. I'll be thinking of you.

You are a strong person for putting her wellbeing before your wants/needs. That is the ultimate gift to our dogs.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
This is the toughest part of having pets. Spend the time you have left doing things she likes and is able to do, taking lots of pictures, and choosing a notebook or something that you can use to make a nice memory book of your times together. Also consider doing something such as donating to your local shelter in her memory or making a donation to an animal health foundation in her name.

Hugs to both of you.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Awww ... I'm so sorry for what you & your family are going thru :( Your beloved friend has given you many years of companionship & I know she'll be very dearly missed. But she will be leaving you with many, many fond memories to cherish forever.
I'll be keeping you in my thoughts.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have been in your shoes several times before with pets, it is not easy by any sense of the words, nor will it be for awhile. I wrote letters to my babies and placed in it with them. My heart goes out to you. It's hard to know that you are making the right choice in situations like this. But in the end your beloved puppers will not suffer and will be waiting for you on the rainbow bridge. HUGS

·
Registered
6 Posts
i am so incredibly sorry, reading this broke my heart. :(
i had to do the same thing three years ago when my jack russell was put to sleep, i had him from when i was 4 until i was 17/18, so i totally understand you comparing them to a younger sibling... isaac was my kid brother. he was injured real bad during an unlucky play fight, as all dogs do, and was paralysed in his bag legs. the trip to the vets and seeing him was heartbreaking, and making the decision more so. i just wanted you to know i totally understand where youre comming from and that your not alon, plenty of people have been in this situation, and putting their needs first is, as it already has been stated, the ultimate gift. be strong,i did the photograph thing and it helped. thinking of you and your little girl x

·
Registered
92 Posts
Huge hugs to you! It's the decision we have to make for our critters and it never gets any easier. Just keep in mind you are doing the right thing in the most unselfish way possible. If she could thank you, she would. Preparation? None that I know of...wish I did.

Don't read further if you don't want to know the procedure.

Just so you know: the vet will give her a light sedative first to relax her. Then he/she will start the final injection. They literally just drop off to "sleep" as the injection proceeds and their vitals fade. The vet will check her over and tell you when she is gone. It is painless, quick and the kindest thing you can do for her.

I'm so sorry and wish there was something that could be said to help you.
Legacy

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
So Sorry to hear about your girl.. Just try to remember when it is time that she isnt gone she is just gone ahead. And she will be waiting for you at the rainbow bridge. ((hugs))

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I'm sadden for you. I know where you're coming from, I have been there Misty my RB girl was my VERY FIRST dog that I've ever had to PTS and it was not easy. She had also passed away with Kidney Failure plus blood disorders Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia You're doing your dog a great favor by ending the suffering. She had a long lasting golden years with you :(

My condolence to you & your family

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hugs Hugs and more Hugs.

You will get through this it might take a while, but you will. Its one of the hardest things to do and I understand how hard it is. But it is the right thing too do.

Dont let this experiance stop you from getting another furry friend to love, because thoes years spent with your dog are so worth it no matter what!

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you everyone for the kind words and stories. I was able to get off work at noon and spend the day with her. It was nice but heart wrenching.
I really appreciate the support. Thank you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm truly sorry.

A dog we had all my life, ever since I can remember had to be put to sleep 2 years ago last april. I cried so much, she'd always been there and it never occured to me that one day she might not be here anymore.

I took her aside and said goodbye, told her all the things I loved abput her, me and mum took her on her last walk and such... :(

but, in the end, I realise it was a very right decision. she had cancer and she was very old as well, and I know that she was ready to go.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Putting your sister's pain ahead of your needs is the most selfless thing an animal parent can do. I have had to have several dogs PTS over the years and it never gets easier. But I always know there will be a pack of dogs waiting for me Over the Rainbow Bridge, happy to see me, all in perfect health and happy together.

And please come back here and talk about her with all of us. That always helps. Lots of Hugs to you and your family. Just know that she KNOWS that you love her.

·
Registered
252 Posts
So sorry! Big hugs to you! We put our 13 1/2 year old Sadie down in April and it broke our hearts. I had no idea it was possible to cry as much as I did.

She's had a good life....and she knows how much you love her. She was lucky to be so loved!!!

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It was SO hard, but she was ready. I want my girl back more than anything, but I guess she's in a better place now.
We're having her body privately cremated and we're keeping her ashes so we can have a celebration of her life.
My vet was wonderful.
I miss her.

Thanks for the support Dog Forums.

·
Registered
252 Posts
It was SO hard, but she was ready. I want my girl back more than anything, but I guess she's in a better place now.
We're having her body privately cremated and we're keeping her ashes so we can have a celebration of her life.
My vet was wonderful.
I miss her.

Thanks for the support Dog Forums.
Oh my goodness.....started crying just reading your note....so sorry for your loss! Having recently gone through it....I know how much it hurts!! She was a lucky dog to have been so loved!!!!!

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. I understand your feelings, as we all do. I had to send my 17 year old dog in a cat's body, Vandal, to the bridge just last week. I miss him terribly but take great comfort in the fact that I helped to end his suffering as a final act of love and respect. The decision itself was not hard, he was very ill, but the loss is profound. Take heart that your girl will be waiting for you on the other side of the bridge and that she is once again young and pain free.

I have found these poems to be very cathartic:

I Loved You Best
By: Jim Wilis

So this is where we part, My Friend,
and you'll run on, around the bend,
gone from sight, but not from mind,
new pleasures there you'll surely find.

I will go on, I'll find the strength,
life measures quality, not its length.
One long embrace before you leave,
share one last look, before I grieve.

There are others, that much is true,
but they be they, and they aren't you.
And I, fair, impartial, or so I thought,
will remember well all you've taught.

Your place I'll hold, you will be missed,
the fur I stroked, the nose I kissed.
And as you journey to your final rest,
take with you this...I loved you best.
Remember
Author Unknown

I Remember
I stood by your bed last night, I came to have a peep.
I could see that you were crying. You found it hard to sleep.

I whined to you softly as you brushed away a tear,
"It´s me, I haven´t left you, I´m well, I´m fine, I´m here."

I was close to you at breakfast, I watched you pour the tea,
You were thinking of the many times your hands reached down to me.

I was with you at the shops today. Your arms were getting sore.
I longed to take your parcels, I wish I could do more.

I was with you at my grave today, You tend it with such care.
I want to re-assure you, that I´m not lying there.

I walked with you towards the house, as you fumbled for your key.
I gently put my paw on you, I smiled and said "It´s me."

You looked so very tired, and sank into a chair.
I tried so hard to let you know, that I was standing there.

It´s possible for me to be so near you everyday.
To say to you with certainty, "I never went away."

You sat there very quietly, then smiled, I think you knew...
in the stillness of that evening, I was very close to you.

The day is over... I smile and watch you yawning
and say "Good-night, God bless, I´ll see you in the morning."

And when the time is right for you to cross the brief divide,
I´ll rush across to greet you and we´ll stand, side by side.

I have so many things to show you, there is so much for you to see.
Be patient, live your journey out... then come home to be with me

1 - 20 of 22 Posts