Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently rescued a dog from a rescue group. He is a pit boxer mix, approximately 10 to 11 weeks old. When we first got him, he was a little skinny but we quickly gave him Albon and a dewormer. No worms or signs of sickness. He started to get better.

In the last 48 hours, he has gotten super skinny. You could see his ribs and hips. He has started this twitching/shaking thing, esp after he eats. And he wont eat dog food, we've been feeding him a mixture of baby food and baby cereal - at the advice of the rescue worker. We've also been feeding him Pedialyte to keep him hydrated. All of the food is being administered via a syringe. He is also making this weird noise - like a moaning yelp?

He doesnt have any other real signs of something being wrong. We have his "sister" (they told us that they are from the same litter, but I dont think that they are.) and she seems fine. She's gaining weight fine and everything.

Anyone have any suggestions? I've been reading up on Parvo and such, and from what I'm understanding, there really isnt anything that they can do. He is still young, so I know that sleeping a lot is still part of his routine. I'm just a little worried. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
This does not sound like the normal settling into a new home scenario. Take the poor little guy to a vet to find out what's going on with him.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I called our vet yesterday, and they told us to continue with the baby food and pedialyte for 24 hours and see if hes getting any better. He seems to be doing a bit better, his stomach area isn't sunken in anymore (his stomach was sunken in when we got him from the shelter) and he seems to getting more attentive. He'll still play with the other dogs, and he loves to chew on his "baby" I'm just wondering about the twitching after eating. Maybe its his body absorbing the food? I've had dogs my whole life, as my husband has. And we've never seen this before.

Oh, and hes started eating the baby food/cereal mixture out of the bowl instead of eating via syringe so I guess that's a good sign too.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Ah, I see. The activity is a good sign, but the not eating dog food would worry me. As does the moaning. I'd still probably take him to the vet.

As for the shaking, that could very well be a result of being in a new environment. Can you describe it a little--what it looks like, when he does it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Peanut is 10.2 lbs (an improvement from the 6 lbs he was when we got him at 8-9 weeks old) I'm thinkin that he's been growing. He seems to be getting taller and longer, which could account for the skinny look.

The twitching was originally only at night when he was sleeping (his sister Bella does it while sleeping too) but now hes started doing it after eating. It usually subsides after about 10 minutes.

He's so tall and skinny that he looks sick, but he's otherwise healthy. Sometimes he'll shake a bit when he's walking, but - like I said - he's so skinny cuz he keeps growing.

And as for the moaning/yelping, I was just watching him (hes laying in bed with me right now) and he does it when he's stretching out or when the other dogs are making too much noise. So I guess that accounts for the moaning - he's probably telling the other dogs to shut up. LOL.

He sleeps a lot if we let him, but we've been trying to get him up more and playing. Bella is helping with that too - she always wants to play with her brother.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts