Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got our new 6 months old dobie about 2 weeks ago and we would love to start training her but it won't be easy :(
She is fine in the house, we can pet her, she will stick around as an follow us but the minute we like to leave the house or back yard she refuses to move ( no treat or fooling around will get her to move).
This is going on for several days now with no progress. If we drive her away she will walk but will mostly pull very hard and once again no food or any other trick will convince her to take it easy. If I stop and "root my self" I would be still there :)

Any tips for newbies?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I am going through something kind of similar but my dog suddenly did not want to go outside after having done so for a year of living with us.

Here's what we have been doing to get him over his fear of outside. First, don't force them to follow you, that can possibly break their trust in you. Find something she realllly loves whether that is a toy or a really high value treat or a game of tug. Then make that something she only gets outside if she follows you on her own accord. For us a really smelly tripe treat did the trick as our dog is very food motivated. You can also practice walking around inside with her on leash with you. Make that a really fun game with lots of praise and treats and then when she is comfortable just walk out the door and hopefully she will follow you to get the treat. Make it short and sweet with lots of praise and then go back inside right away, rinse repeat.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the fast reply,
I'll try but for some unknown reason she wouldn't take any bribe when outside
Walking inside is no problem at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, we tried again but no success.
She walks very well in the house or back yard and will accept rewards for it.
The minute we try to leave she will put her breaks on and will not cooperate.
When I take her away to the park or just a block a way she will wall but she walks me
not the other way around :)
She is hungry since I did not feed her anything in the morning but treats will still not appeal to her.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone having some ideas? I think the problem is that she is very distracted outside and doesn't have any motivation.
Can't even reward her for good behavior because she simply will not accept the treat.
Yesterday we had friends dog to visit and we took them both for walk since the like to play together
but it did not change the behavior what so ever.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I feel your frustration. Did your dog come from a breeder? He may have been in a crate/pen 24/7 and is terrified of the outside world. I just adopted a shih-tsu from the same situation yesterday - a rescue (he's just about a year old) and he simply freezes and refuses to move. No amount of persuasion will change his mind - he's even refused peanut butter, even when I smeared a little on his mouth - wouldn't even lick it off. I've put him on a 15 food lead outside to let him wander around for now, without being able to get away, even in my fenced in back yard (he's so new, he won't come to me right now, b/c he's so scared). You could try the longer lead at the park, and let your dog simply get used to being outside, away from the security of your yard, without trying a formal walk yet.

What treats have you offered? I'm going to try tiny pieces of hotdog next, since peanut butter didn't work. You have to find something that your dog can't resist! I've heard of people boiling chicken and cutting it into tiny pieces as treats, too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for support and reply :)
Yes, she came from breeder. So perhaps you're right, she was in pack with 4 other dogs
in large backyard in the country. She is great with other dogs and people in the dog park,
the only problem is to leave the house. If we drive her somewhere she will walk me (pull)
but will not respond to any treats. We even offered raw meat since she loves that at home.

If I let her run around without restriction she will follow us and respond a bit better but that's not in the city.
BTW we live in very quiet part of the town so there is no heavy distractions from traffic and
she doesn't appear to be scared by anything particular. Just standing looking around what's going on
or dragging me around 70%of the time. We have her 2 weeks now.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Carry her out front on a leash, with treats, and just sit in the front yard with her, and offer treats, and pats. Just sit and watch the world go by. Eventually she will relax. It can take a month or so for dogs to start to settle into a new home, so she still may be a little stressed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We are working on it, I would have never guessed that it can take that long.
Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, lifeisfun, have you had any progress with Tux? I'm curious to know if you have found anything that has worked.

I won't offer advice since our dog, Jessie, has a similar problem. We think she is a German Sheperd mix (with Dobie or Rottie or something?) but she was a rescue, so we don't know for sure. We don't know if she was abused (there were signs) but she was neglected pitifully. A GS/Dobie/Rottie mix sounds fierce, and she looks it, but she is a sweetie with her family. We have two other dogs and Jessie is our "pack leader", but she is nothing but submissive with my husband and me.

We have had her since she was an older puppy, a few months old, and she is 6 years-old now. Unfortunately, I think she has only left our fenced in yard once, maybe twice, in her whole life since she came home with us, and the only reason she left the fence then is because we scooped her up and carried her outside the fence. (She was 1 or 1 1/2 years-old at the time.) I'm sorry to say we haven't been diligent with trying to get her acclimated to being outside the yard. She is a large, strong dog and no one can make her do anything she doesn't want to do. But, she is attentive and obedient inside the fence.

I know what you mean when you say Tux is not interested in anything (treats, etc.) to encourage cooperation. We get ready to leave the yard with Jessie and you can watch her shut down. We walk up to the gate and her eyes go blank. She's not distracted; she is just completely non-responsive. When we carried her outside the fence (to the side yard), she laid down and I sat there with her for a couple hours, patting her and talking. She didn't relax and was visibly relieved when I called her back into the backyard. I haven't tried loading her up and going to our dog park; I just don't think we're ready for that.

We haven't tried to work with her on this in many months, but I found your thread today because I'm ready to try again and Googled for ideas. I'm embarrassed to admit we've had this problem for so long, and not really tried harder. (And, I'm sure there is a reader out there who would love to slam me for being an irresponsible owner and they are itching to send a tart reply.) Its our fault we let this go on for years, not hers. And I'm not intending to be a "downer" for you and Tux; the situations are not the same. I'm just hoping you might have had a breakthrough that I could learn from?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi, Tux is just fine now, one day she simply started to walk like nothing happened ;)
I guess we need to be patient with those furry creatures!

·
Registered
2 Posts
LOL! Go figure! I'm glad to hear it worked out for you. Sometimes you just never know what is going on inside their little heads : )

1 - 12 of 12 Posts