Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I'm babysitting two of my teachers pets while she is away getting knee surgery and recovering for a few months..

Well her obese tiger salamander Bob, I've been babysitting for a while, at least a month or two and he's lost weight and is looking a lot better.

Well I've been taking care of the land turtle at the school, rather then bringing him home, well last minute the substitute told me I have to take him/her home for spring(winter here) break.

Well, the turtle is in rough shape, all of his toes have been broken and are in deformed places because kids have dropped him, and come to think of it, I've never seen any food in with him.

Well I set him up in a temporary 10 gallon, little tub of water, and a hide. He's been enjoying splashing around in the water, but I'm confused on what to feed him....

He loves mealworms, and I've given him cantelope melon, honeydew melon, strawberry, and fruits like that, but he doesn't seem to like them very much, he'll take a few bites and then ignore it, or just ignore it all together.

He has an all in one diet mush thing, but he doesn't eat it..

So...any suggestions??

I feel bad for him, but he seems to be enjoying the peace and quiet.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Oh, dear, poor guy. Do you know what kind of "land turtle" he is? A Box Turtle, a Russian Tortoise, etc.? Can you post pics?

Under the circumstances, you should probably soak him. Just a 10-minute soak in warmish (85 degrees or so) water no higher than about halfway up his shell. I'd suggest doing it every day while you have him, since you don't know how often he gets a good soak while at school. It will rehydrate him and stimulate his digestive system. Do you have a lamp you can shine into his tank? Not too strong, since the 10g is so small, but anything to keep him warmer (around 80 would be ideal for a steady temp, basking area warmer).

Very few turtles/tortoises enjoy prepared foods, and most are pretty bad for them. I don't use prepared foods at all.

Almost all type of land turtles enjoy greens. Some nice mustard greens would be a nutritious treat (red leaf or green leaf lettuces, collard greens, etc.---any dark greens, though romaine is not terribly nutritious, and avoid iceburg lettuce completely!). You can use timothy hay for his bedding, and he might snack on it, too.

Other than that, any diet advice would completely depend on what species he is.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Okay, I'll take some pictures of him later, he's just a small little turtle, and yes I do have a 75 watt bulb to keep him heated, it stays around 80 and the basking is higher, but not like, in the hundreds. I've seen him sitting under it, and I have been soaking him, but he freaks out when you put him in a bucket of water outside of his house..

He had a big gash on his arm last week(from who knows what) and it's starting to look good.

I put a sign on his tank at school saying..

"Please do not touch or pick up the turtle, he is old and in pain because people have dropped him and broken all his toes.....don't you feel good about yourself"

And the substitute told me no on has been picking him up haha.

All I know is he rushes up to the side of the tank when I bring out the mealworms or crickets, although he is a HORRIBLE hunter so I feed him with tongs/tweezers.

And since I've had him I do dust his insects.

Here's some pics, he was sleepy so he wasn't freaking out lol.

Size:

Here's some of his toes...

·
Registered
688 Posts
Poor little turtle :(

I can't really see the back toes but from the shell color and shape it appears to be a 3-toed box turtle.

I have 7 of these and his beak looks very overgrown.

My favorite caresheets is one from austinsturtlepage.com and one specifically for 3 toed box turtles is at tortoisetrust.org

Most box turtle diets are relatively the same 40% plant matter 60% animal matter

I have the 7 three toed 3 eastern boxies 2 ornate and 1 florida I don't feed the manufactured meals they aren't really as good for them as they claim. Among them all the favorite has been gut loaded mealworms earthworms collards and romaine lettuce they tolerate crickets and fruits I would try to feed on a rock to wear down the beak and keep the nails from becoming even more overgrown.

I also keep a small litterbox with about 2 inches of water in it this is mainly where they do their business lol and enough just sitting in the water it gets dirty fast so it is changed twice a day.

He should also have a UVB bulb in addition to the basking light.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Box Turtle. I'm not sure what kind, I'm no expert on Boxies. Probably a female 3-Toed. Her beak is seriously overgrown and should be trimmed. Unfortunately, it's hard to find a vet that knows how to do it. That poor turtle is suffering some serious care issues. Her feet look terrible :( . I wish schools wouldn't keep pets unless someone really knows what they're doing....what exactly are they teaching the kids?!?!?

Good news is, the diet you've been giving her is pretty good. I'll try to find a caresheet.
Here's a basic overview on feeding: "Approximately half of their diet should be made up of vegetables, fruit, and hay/grasses. The remainder is made up of low fat protein sources; whole live foods are ideal (earthworms, slugs, snails, mealworms, crickets, grasshoppers, small fish, etc) but cooked lean meats and low fat dog food can be added as a supplement"
Here's the link:http://exoticpets.about.com/od/boxturtles/p/threetoeboxt.htm

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
okay, so what can I do for her now? Anything to make her more comfortable? We don't have any herp vets in Fairbanks that don't charge 200 dollars just for a visit, and if I had the money she would go, but I don't.

We have some dark greens, some sort of lettuce(not iceberg) I'll see if he will eat some, but I gut load my crickets and mealworms with cantelope, dark greens, carrots, etc..so the turtle would be getting some added nutrients.

She has a water dish in with him that he enjoys soaking in.

And she does have a UVB bulb(which I believe she has never had)

I may be heading to the pet store soon to pick up some things, is there anything she might need?

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Sounds like you're doing all you can.....I'm sure she'll enjoy her vacation at your place!

Maybe some timothy hay for bedding/snacking. That's all I can think of that you could pick up for her.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think she will eat it, I put a small plant in with her and she kept digging at the roots and munching on them lol.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Another thing I thought of (after I got off the computer last time :rolleyes: ) was a cuttlebone.....she can munch on it when she wants calcium, and it might trim her beak down a bit, too.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
In the bird section. People give them to birds to keep their beaks in shape. Sometimes they're sold in bulk, sometimes individually in a plastic blister pack. They're the things that look like little white surfboards :cool: . It's the bone structure of a cuttlefish, so it's an excellent source of calcium for reptiles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts