Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a few training articles and sometimes they say ignore or turn off affection as a form of negative punishment if your dog is doing something you don't like, like biting (for puppies). I don't think that works at all on my puppy, because if I ignore him, he just goes and entertains himself. He doesn't care. Same thing with throwing lavish praise when he does something good. I don't think he cares either, and in fact if I do pet him, sometimes after a few seconds he just wants to go away.

Maybe I'm not a good petter?... For most of my life I was not fond of dogs, and during childhood I was really scared of dogs so maybe I'm not doing the same thing that a person naturally good with animals would do. I have a cockapoo puppy (4.5 months) and I thought he'd be more affectionate and/or lap dog-like... Maybe I don't give him enough treats? Any ideas? Or this is just normal and I'm being a crazy human obsessing over his first pet.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.