Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had our two year old adopted Peke for about a month. We assume she was potty pad trained because she has had accidents on anything resembling a potty pad (we've mourned multiple bathmats) but otherwise has only had a few accidents.

We're considering getting some of the artificial turf potty pads to put on our covered but not enclosed front porch so we won't have to take her outside in the rain and snow (we're in NW Ohio, we get a lot of both.) The front porch is out the front door, so I'm hoping that won't confuse her about going inside vs. outside.

Good idea? Bad idea?

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
It depends on what you want her to do, long term. Are you planning on having the turf potty pads on the porch every winter?
Lots of us have rain and snow, and take our dogs out in it. You can always put a sweater on, which is what we do in cold or snowy weather.
That said, since it seems she's already trained to pads from a previous owner, you either go along with that, and use the pads, or transition to only having her go outside.....

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
We just dragged poor Hamilton out in the snow this winter. My husband snow-blew some lawn for him, and he had to suffer through it. I'm hoping next year will be better because he'll be full grown (he was 4-8 lbs this winter). I think it's easier to just train the dog to go outside!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts