Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a really dumb question, but Im curious.

What is actually the difference between a cheaper variety agility tunnel sold at dog/pet stores, and a tunnels that look exactly the same (but are a great deal cheaper) that are sold for children?

This isnt something that would be actually used for "agility"...rather something we were thinking about setting up in the living room once or twice a week, maybe 30 mins to play in for the dogs. Not something they'd be unsupervised with.

·
Registered
740 Posts
not much lol - the thing I would think about is his chewing - if it's really heavy, just look for a tunnel material that's durable - that's about it!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol thanks...I was just wondering...wanted to get one for my pups for christmas, I think they would love it....I was just thinking there had to be some major difference when the "dog agility" tunnels are upwards of $60, and the ones for kids are $15.99 this weekend!! thought maybe I was missing something.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
If you get a "kid" tunnel, they frequently have mesh areas where the children can peak out. You want to cover that with a towel or something as the dog will see it as an "exit". You also want to be sure the tunnel (whatever kind) doesn't roll with the dog in it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
lol thanks...I was just wondering...wanted to get one for my pups for christmas, I think they would love it....I was just thinking there had to be some major difference when the "dog agility" tunnels are upwards of $60, and the ones for kids are $15.99 this weekend!! thought maybe I was missing something.
Durability is also a possible difference. Even those cheap ones from dog stores are very different than 'real' agility tunnels. (which often cost well over 200)

·
Registered
631 Posts
Durability is also a possible difference. Even those cheap ones from dog stores are very different than 'real' agility tunnels. (which often cost well over 200)
Some kiddy online places sell canvas like tunnels for kids and dogs, same site. Often they charge more for the dog ones.. niche market.

7 or so years ago I tried the 20 dollar one at toys r us. It fell apart used indoors only in less than a week. I got one online that's lasted years.. but I wish I'd gotten a 200 dollar one initially. Really agility high quality ones last for near ever even with wear and tear.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Eppy really likes his kid tunnel from Ikea. The only problem with that one is that it won't stay in a horseshoe shape without pinning it down. It has lasted close to a year now without wearing through.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Eppy really likes his kid tunnel from Ikea. The only problem with that one is that it won't stay in a horseshoe shape without pinning it down. It has lasted close to a year now without wearing through.
I have that exact same tunnel that's in your avatar. Basil doesn't like it but my rabbit Butternut LOVES it. Your tunnel has three little ribbon/strap thingies that you tie together to fold up the tunnel, right? Well, leave one of the three ribbons tied together, untie the rest, and you should have a sturdy horseshoe that won't straighten out! Unfortunately you can't have a wide horseshoe or an S shape though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts