Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this post doesn't make a lot of sense but I am a bit of a mess right now, I rescued my beloved little Biscuit almost a year ago from the shelter that I work at as after she arrived for animal cruelty reasons. She was set to be put to sleep for nervousness and aggression issues and wouldn't let anybody in the kennel with her but we made a bond and I started fostering her. We've ploughed through and after much hard work, laughter and tears she's finally got to a stage where she's made a tonne of human and canine friends and is such a happy little soul.

She developed a lump that grew really fast on her leg and had it removed at the vets, I got the results back today that heartwrenchingly confirmed that it's cancer. She's developed another small lump on her leg which they are rushing her in to have removed to determine if it's the cancer back again. If it is they're saying she may need to be put to sleep as it can spread pretty quickly. I'm absolutely heartbroken and beside myself, been crying for about 5 hours straight :(

Does anybody have any experience with this side of things and any advice you can give me? I really don't want to lose her but I don't want her to be in any pain she's not even 3 years old and I don't want her to spend her whole life sick. Please help :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,674 Posts
Is there a veterinary oncologist in your area who you could see? They would be able to give you a better idea of what your options are. My first instinct was well.. it's on her leg... dogs do pretty well with three legs! I can't imagine your only choice is euthanasia. If you don't have a veterinary oncologist within traveling distance, they get a second and third opinion from other vets in the area. I wouldn't just go with what the one vet said.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,518 Posts
You need to find out exactly what kind of cancer you are dealing with. There are many different kinds of cancer. Some are more aggressive than others. Then the next step would be to do your research. If you decide to pursue it further a visit with a specialist is next in order. I am sorry that after all your efforts, this had to happen. What kind of dog is she?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,415 Posts
Definitely get a 2nd opinion. You can have the vet records sent to an oncologist or a teaching hospital for a 2nd opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
I rescued a 9 year old black lab a few years ago that actually had a half of a brain..Half his head was sunk in:( His previous owner had extensive surgery done on him a couple years before that. I had him for about a year and a half when a tumor started to reappear in the same area:( He was older, about 12ish, so I opted not to even get it tested, because deep down I knew the cancer came back and at 12 years old and 120 pounds he wouldn't have lived much longer(he was already having problems walking and getting up and down). I even moved to a first floor apt anticipating how hard it would be to get him outside as he declined. I did keep him alive until he had a stroke while we were taking a walk- he just gave this high pitched noise, put his head in the air and collapsed- I couldn't get him up, that is when I decided to put him to sleep...He was one hell of a dog:) and he deserved not to be in any pain:( Your dog is a lot younger and I would get a second opinion and weigh the options of the value of life the dog will have if its treated-if the dog has 10 more years to live I would probably do whatever I could to save him as long as he isn't in any pain.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top