Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard that tug-a-war with a puppy will build aggression. My boxer puppy loves to play tug-a-war, but I really don't want to build too much aggression as she seems to want to be dominate already

·
Registered
82 Posts
Do most of you agree with this???????

That article makes me so happy! I stopped playing tug, because people thought it was encouraging Suuk to be "aggressive and dominant" (at the ripe old age of 9 weeks old).

I LOVE playing tug with dogs. I was actually a little crushed when I stopped playing with her. But it sounds like if you follow the standard rules of puppy play, and maintain control over the game - like with everything else, then it is just fine? :)

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I agree with it. :D I play tug with Jaia all the time. He's the only one of my dogs who does it. He does have to release the object when I tell him to. The rules have to be followed.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I agree with it. :D I play tug with Jaia all the time. He's the only one of my dogs who does it. He does have to release the object when I tell him to. The rules have to be followed.
That actually makes me a little teary eyed! Suuki is doing so well with "drop it/take it" that I think we can work on this. Soooo happy. I love tug.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Absolutely! It is a great way to build drive and focus.

Just be very careful and gentle with a pup that young, and be very consistent about teaching appropriate vs inappropriate mouth contact.

Some will no doubt advise that you must always "win." But the dog will learn pretty quickly that keeping you in the game is "winning" and doing anything that makes you walk away from the game is "losing." In other words, the toy only has value when you're attached to the other end of it.

When I release the tug toy and walk away, my dogs follow me around begging for more, and are willing to work for the chance to play again. For me, that's a huge win.

This video demonstrates some of the key techniques you will need when your dog gets older: "smack-a-baby" and "mine!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzqs54qMgQA

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, I'm not sure who loves tug a war more.......... me or my puppy. I played it with a dog I had as a kid and loved tug-a-war, but don't want a dominate aggressive dog I can't control.

I've read that there's special tug-a-war toys now that have this type of string that when you pull it's actually cleaning the dogs teeth, so it's good for their health.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts