Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cats eat ground raw food that I buy from the store I work at. It's all locally sourced meat that has been ground by the owner herself (70% muscle meat, 10% bone, 10% heart, 10% liver), and I want to keep them on this because one of my cats has lower urinary tract disease, so it makes it very easy for me to add extra water to his food.

My dog, on the other hand, that I will be adopting in a month or so, I would like get onto the prey model. I calculated, so he's 6 lbs, needs to gain a bit of weight, so we're looking at around 0.18-0.20 lbs a day.

So, if I go to the grocery store every week, around how much meat/organs/bones should I be getting? I need some help D: And I'm still confused as to how to get the ratios right when you are feeding one to two things a night? SOMEONE PLEASE HELP.

Also, I live in Montreal, Canada... I'm not sure if it would be cheaper for me to just buy the raw we sell in-store or to buy meat myself and do this? For .5 lbs at my store it costs 2.50-3.50 depending on what types of meat I'm getting. Any experience here too?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I'm in Montreal.. and you can find better pricing if you do it yourself. I can get chicken quarters for .99/lb on sale at the grocery store ;) The most I pay for meat is $3/lb and that's for lamb necks. Everything else, including liver and kidney, is below that.

Although - that said, given you are feeding such a small amount, if you find it easier to just buy premade to begin with, go for it. I feed 2 Danes.. premade would wipe my account within minutes!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Figure out a week's ration and feed a little from that daily. Likely you would be feeding a bony meat+organ 2-3x a week with meat/egg/fish the other days.

That is the goal, at first you would get a whole chicken or even better a couple of Cornish Game Hens and cut to size and feed one a day until poop is fine then work in the other proteins like lamb, beef, turkey and pork then work the in miniscule amounts of organ needed. THEN start to feed boneless days and bony days.

So if you were feeding your 6 pound dog 3% a day that comes to about 2.75-3 ounces a day. 3x7=21 ounces a week. 2.1 ounces of bone [not bony stuff, just the bone], 1 ounce of liver+1 ounce of kidney or spleen or pancreas or brain or thymus and the rest is meat/fish/egg. If you stuck with CGH which is about 40% bone then you would be feeding about 8 ounces of that weekly with the bit of organ and the rest would be boneless beef, pork, turkey, lamb, egg, fish. You would be buying a pound of liver and organ and stashing that in weekly bits in the freezer so a biweekly shopping list would be a pound sized CGH and 1.5 pounds of meat in variety. How much would that cost on average?

Either way probably not a budget buster!

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
And I'm still confused as to how to get the ratios right when you are feeding one to two things a night? SOMEONE PLEASE HELP.
Get a scale.

You can measure out individual portions and package them separately for storage though you'll need fairly small tupperware for a 6lb dog. You can also get a meat grinder and measure out large quantities to grind and mix together.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
If you are lucky, your dog will self regulate. One of my dogs does, the other doesn't. :/

If I had such a small dog, I would probably stick with a ground mix similar to what you are feeding your cats (BTW, heart is a muscle, XD ). It just makes it easier to measure and deal with, since your dog is so small. That's just me though.

·
Banned
43 Posts
I would stop feeding your cats the ground food, it's really best that they show it themselves, and grinding bones gives them sharp edges!

you NEED a kitchen scale first.

Are you trying to not freeze anything? I think it's best to have a monthly meal making day, where you weigh, cut and put all of the individual meals in bags and freeze them, take one out every night and put it in the fridge and feed it the next night when it is thawed.

And considering you are feeding such small animals I wouldn't worry about price, it would cost approx $30 (I'm in America :p) a month for me to feed my 11 lb cat raw, so it should cost even less for your Pom to eat raw. I tried feeding my German Shepherd raw, and sadly I couldn't do it because of the price! But when I can find a good place to buy meat or I can someday afford it then I will definitely be putting him on raw again!

Oh, and I think technically you would be feeding Franken Raw, many consider Prey Model Raw the same thing as FR but PMR imitates what a dog would eat in the wild, fur, feathers feet and all, but Franken Raw is made up of different parts of different animals to get a balanced diet.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone that helps a lot!

savvy, the reason why I need to feed ground meat to my cats is:
a) One of my cats suffers from chronic lower urinary tract disease. Because of this, we need to increase his water intake as much as possible. He has almost NO thirst drive, so he gets most of his water from his food. Despite being on raw, he had a flare up just a week or so ago, so we add MORE water to his food now.
b) That, and he has an overbite, so he can't eat certain types of foods (like chicken legs that have bone, etc.).
c) Neither of my cats were on raw until this year, so they do not necessarily recognize whole meats, etc. as actual food.

I want to only get approx. 2 weeks of food (that's the amount my freezer would allow with the cat food and all). I am going to freeze all of my food for 2-3 days because I want to kill off any excess bacteria :)

Thanks everyone for the advice! I guess now it's finding out exactly how much of everything I would need and then bagging them all individually!

The pom won't be here for a good month or so still, and he didn't recognize any real meat treats (I brought some sample ZiwiPeak foods with me) so, I think it'll be a slow transition for us :|

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Freezing stops bacterial growth, it doesn't kill it. If you make up your own ground food be sure to keep everything very clean and cold to limit contamination and bacterial growth.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts