Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there.. I need a little direction with this one. :eek:

I have 2 mini daschunds, one male who is 1 year old and one female who is 2 years old. I have had both dogs since they were 8 weeks old, and I have paper trained them to go on weewee pads in the apartment. They have been great going on the wee wee's for the most part, however i'm getting tired of cleaning weewee pad after weewee pad and my apartment is small so the smell is getting to me. So I want to teach them to go outside, but it hasnt been going very well. I have them in their crates all day and I take them out and say "go potty" (which was always the command to go) every morning, after they eat and at night...but they just wont go. Once they're out they seem so distracted by everything outside, next door neighbors, cars..etc. They have gone maybe once or twice when I caught them sniffing where the weewee pad was and brought them out right away. However they don't seem to like being on the grass especially when its raining, I guess because theyre so low to the ground? I dont know..I'm not sure what else to do or try. any info would be great =)

·
Registered
185 Posts
The first thing that comes to mind is: have you tried taking the wee wee pads outside? Take the pads outside and maybe weigh them down with a couple rocks or something to keep them from flying away, then take your dogs out on leash to that spot. If they "go" on the pad, reward them with a wonderfully tasty treat they won't soon forget. If they do not go, put them back in the crate for a while and try again later.
Keep this up VIGILANTLY for a couple of weeks before allowing too much freedom in the house again. This process will take some time for them to get used to since they have already developed a preference for the pads and a long time habit.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
What I would do is put the dogs on a schedule of eating, going out to potty, going back in to their crates if they do not potty, going back out in 15-30 mins. for another try, giving lots of treats and praise after every successful potty outside, plus 30 mins. to an hour of supervised freedom to them indoors and so on. You should also be sure to clean up any prior or future messes in the house with an enzymatic pet stain and odor eliminator.

Am I right in assuming that these little ones haven't been getting out much except to potty? I would really make an effort to get them outside. The more exposure they have to all the distractions in the world the easier it will be for them to focus on going potty when they are out there. In addition to potty training I would take time to work on some basic obedience or fun tricks out there, enroll in a positive training class with them, take them for a walk every day (driving to new places every so often to expose them to even more stuff), etc.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I agree with pamperedpups.

I also own a mini doxie, and he was hell to housebreak for the first month, but BE CONSISTENT.

Feed same time, take out same times...he will get the picture! It's tough, but don't give it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts