Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Hopefully I didn't screw things up too bad. I have a 7 week old black lab. I've been lettering her go potty on the lawn in the backyard but I'd like to break that habbit. I've had my dog for 1 1/2 weeks. Is it too late to try and get her to go in one area. I just stood out in the rain for about 20 minutes hoping she would at least go number 1 and she kept trying to go back on the lawn.

Any feedback or advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Where are you trying to make her go potty?

Also, house training is going to take months more. 7 weeks is still a baby, too young to be away from mom. 5 1/2 weeks is waaay too early to be taken away from the mother and little mates. 8-10 weeks is the minimum recommended. At that age their body doesn't even receive signals that they have to pee or poop, they are like babies who just go in their diapers without even realizing. She wont start to get these signals for a long time. The best you can do now is just take her out every 20-30 minutes to prevent accidents. In a few months when she is able to start getting signals from her bladder that is when she can start to actually be potty trained. I say just wait it out, she will have to go eventually.

Also, I suggest you go to the First Time Pet Owner section and read the thread "The Bite Stops Here". I have a feeling biting is something you are going to have an issue with since she was taken away too young. Bite inhibition is something puppies have to learn from their litter mates, she will now have to learn it from you.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I agree with LilasMom. If you've had her for a week and a half, the poor thing left her mama way to early. I understand there are sometimes reasons to take a puppy that soon, perhaps mama abandoned this pup, or mama died, or what have you, but the majority of the time, it's really a bad idea to have a puppy away from mama and siblings that early.

But, it's done now. So, as LilasMom said, puppies that young don't always know they have to go. That's why we take them out so often, chances are, the more often you take them out, the more likely you are to have them out when they need to go. And, the more chances you give them to try to go, whether their bladder is full or not, the better.

As the age, she'll get the signals and know what to do about them.

As for your original question: are you taking her out on a leash? That can help limit where she goes, and help you direct her to where you want her to go. Also, I wouldn't stand outside and wait for 20 minutes for her to go. Puppies that age are very easily distracted by outside sights, sounds, and smells. They also have limited attention spans to begin with. If you tell her to go potty, the first few minutes she might be actually thinking about going, but after that, she's lost all focus, and is just basically exploring.

So, try staying out, in the space you want her to go, for 5 minute, saying "go potty" or whatever your chosen phrase is, and then, if she doesn't go, take her back in. BUT, watch her very closely and keep her right with you, because chances are, as soon as she gets inside, she'll remember she needed to go potty, and she'll do it inside....if you are watching her super closely and you have her right with you, you will see her sniff or start to squat and you can rush her back out.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
A Lab is distractable, energetic, and loves the rain. And will use you as a chew toy as she gets old... so the advice to look at The Bite Stops Here is important.

In general, when a puppy is taken outside to potty, she will pee in about 30 seconds. Then, she will sniff all the good news, (and Labs will splash in All the puddles... maybe twice :) )

So, as Doxie suggests - Take the pup out using a leash, let her squat where ever she wants outside as you walk her to the potty area. Then, stand there (with an umbrella) for about 5 min. until she poops. She will still sniff around for that exactly perfect spot, but the leash will limit her roaming.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Something to add is that 20 minutes seems kind of long to stand and wait. I've always kept my business trips with my lab as business. She goes out specifically to do that in her spot and that is it. Like the others said, leash her near where you want her to go and make them short trips to go potty. If she doesn't go, kennel her for 5-10 minutes, then come back out and try again keeping everything about going potty. One thing to add about her getting distracted, labs tend to have really good noses so they will get distracted by EVERY new smell. Keep it business and eventually she will know that is what you're out there for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts