Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted before about my mid-sized schnauzer, Deagan. He's around 9 years old now and recently, I have been trying to get him to get along with a family cat that we have to take care of. My mother who usually takes care of the cat is on vacation out of the country so the cat is living with us now.

Any suggestions on how to train both Deagan and the cat to get along? We got Deagan when he was 5 yrs old so I'm not sure how he's dealt with cats in his past. At the moment, we have the cat staying in our bedroom while Deagan is in the living room. I'm keeping Deagan on a leash and leaving the bedroom door open so the cat can be free to roam around once she feels safe enough. At first, Deagan would bark and pull on his leash once he sees the cat. I've gotten him to a point where I am able to draw his attention to me with treats and not bark but he's definitely still interested in chasing the cat. The cat is still very afraid to move out to the living room to try and get use to Deagan and I'm afraid of how much stress this is causing her.

Any tips or suggestions would be awesome! Thanks!

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Is this going to be a long term situation (IE; is the cat now your cat?) or temporary until your mother comes back?

If it's temporary, I would just keep them separated to keep stress on the cat minimal. This can be a long process depending on the dog and cat.

If not, not all dogs are cat safe, so you have to recognize that possibility first. As a start, keep using high value treats and work far enough away from the cat that he can still pay attention to you, then as he gets better gradually decrease the distance.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I'm gonna throw the possibility of time outs on the table, cause it helped with our dog-cat situation.

When dog starts getting too hyper with cat, dog is removed from premises for a few minutes (out of line of sight of the cat). Then dog is allowed another chance. Rinse, repeat, consistency is key.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice! Alla, I will try a time-out method as well.

ireth0, this is a fairly short term scenario (about 3 months) but there is a desire from the family to try and get them to get along.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
The thing you have to keep in mind is that he might have a high prey drive and be driven to catch and hurt the cat, not just chase and play with it.

Make sure the cat has safe places to go the dog can't get to (behind gates, up on shelves or cat furniture), and until the dog is showing calmer behaviour, always have it on leash when doing your training sessions with the cat.

·
Super Moderator
11,682 Posts
If the cat runs, a schnauzer will likely chase it. And he won't be kind if he catches it.

The miniature schnauzer who lives with us lived with two cats for a time. He tried chasing them but stopped after one of the cats smacked him around a little.

I also had a large lab who would chase cats, but gave up that hobby when he met a cat that lived with three dogs and would not run away.

Some dogs, Esther for example, could never be trusted with a cat. She wouldn't care if the cat ran or not.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
If it's only 3 months, I wouldn't bother, more for the cat than anything to do with the dog. Most cats hate change. It's not worth the stress to the cat for such a short time.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If it's only 3 months, I wouldn't bother, more for the cat than anything to do with the dog. Most cats hate change. It's not worth the stress to the cat for such a short time.
Second that.

If the cat experiences too much stress from the dog chasing him, you might suddenly be dealing with far greater issues than how to get them to get along - the cat may start eliminating outside the litter box, vomit all over the place, pull his fur out, get nasty skin conditions and all kind of disturbing results from high level stress.

Whatever you decide, there is one major rule to follow: the cat has to be untouchable to the dog at all times, and safe.
If the dog is bullet proof in "Place" command, you may want to teach him that anytime the cat appears, the dog goes to his place and stays there, no matter what.
I would enforce it, not reinforce with treats, or you may risk the dog being lovey-dovey while receiving treats, then go after the cat anyway once you turn your back to him.
Wouldn't put the cat's life and health in jeopardy trying to make them best buddies, the dog has to stay away or the experiment might turn out badly.
If you can't be sure he will stay on place till released, then it is better to keep them completely separated for 3 months.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts