Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I'm new. But I just got a new puppy. He is a pure bred Blue Heeler. I can tell he is really smart but he has got some serious A.D.D. I know it is a common trait with puppies, I am using a clicker for training and I do have dog training treats. I'm not for using hot dogs or cheese because sometimes training requires to use a lot of treats, unless it was done sloppy. I have been doing tons of research and watching a lot of videos on clicker training, how it is properly done, etc. He loses focus very fast. The first trick I started off with is the "leave it" trick, to leave the treats alone so he isn't focused when I am trying to teach him new tricks. He will do it a few times but then grow bored and walk away or become interested in something else. We are always in a dead quiet room with no distractions. I know he isn't too young for clicker training. What can I do to make him more focused on me?

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
How old is your puppy? What treats are you using? You CAN use hot dogs and cheese if you need some high value treats to get him interested, they just need to be cut into tiny pieces, maybe about the size of a pinky fingernail. One hot dog should really get you 70-100 pieces.
Have you "loaded" the clicker? Did you start with his name first? That's a really good way to get the concept across, say his name, he looks at you, you click the instant he looks, and give the treat. With clicker training, timing is super important.

Young puppies should be training about 3-5 minutes, but you can do these 3-5 minute sessions about 5-10 times a day. Longer than that, and the training becomes frustrating for human and puppy, and the puppy will start to have a negative associate with training. It should be fun!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I agree, you're likely trying to train for too long. Don't expect more than 5 minutes at a time, at the outside, and when the dog starts to show signs of boredom or frustration, end the session and try again later.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Puppies have a short attention span. I'd count out 20 treats. That's all the training you're going to do at one time (though you can do many short sessions during the day). If he becomes distracted before you get to 20, drop it down to 10. You can't train unless the dog is in the game, and you want to end the game with him still wanting more. When you go to a more distracting environment, you're going to, of course, have to up the level and quality of your reinforcer. At home I use kibble, out in public I use something much better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts