Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone great forums:wave:. I have a 11 month old "Beagle Mix" named buddy and I am very curious as to what breed he might be. The place I got him from said they thought he could possibly be part boxer due to the "knot" on his head when he was a puppy. It seems to not be there anymore. He is extremely energetic and jumps very high when he plays catch. To me he looks like a pointer and not so much a beagle. I plan on doing a DNA test so I guess this is a pre- DNA test guess. Does anyone think he looks beagle like at all? He does not howl, but seems to bark more like my old lab who I had before Buddy. Thanks All Here are some pics. I will get his current measurements if it helps anyone guess at what he is. He weighs approximately 38-40 lbs and is taller when next to full bred beagles. I need to measure his current height.

As a puppy

At the park

In the kitchen a few minutes ago lol. Sorry bad quality, he wasn't too happy about the camera.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
There's only so many breeds with tails that curl over the back like that, but, well, here's the list and I can't imagine which of those would result in that little beagle-looking' cutie.

·
Registered
57 Posts
hi,
His curved tail and black splotches, his stance, ears and chest look a Catahoula Beagle mix! What a cutie! Does he like to herd, use his nose for scenting a lot? Go online for Catahoula pictures. Is he from the South??? They are originally from Louisiana and are making their way more into the rest of the States. Let me know what you come up with.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
He looks Pointer mix to me. The second picture makes him look Canaan Dog mix because of the colors, tail, and stance. But the third picture throws that guess out the window. Anyway he looks more Pointer mix to me and he's cute.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
He looks Pointer mix to me. The second picture makes him look Canaan Dog mix because of the colors, tail, and stance. But the third picture throws that guess out the window. Anyway he looks more Pointer mix to me and he's cute.
I thought he looks like a pointer as well.

Hi again,
I forgot to ask, does he have webbed feet??? If so then for sure Cat/Beagle mix.
Its crazy i never bothered to check his paws. But in fact they appear to be webbed. What breed is a cat? Sorry I'm a dog noob lol.

He does use his nose a lot and as far as herding, I noticed he nips at the legs of my cousins dog when they play. Not sure if that means anything.

As far as where he is from, he is from pennsylvania. I should really get a DNA test I'm very curious.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi,
Catahoulas Leopard Dogs are the state dog of Louisianna and were used to hunt wild boar. They are a "hunting" not herding dog (big difference} My two Cats nip at our heels on occasion to get us moving along, it's not aggression and kind of amusing, but don't let it get out of control, you must be the Alpha. They need a lot of exercise and MUST BE GIVEN A JOB TO DO OR THEY WILL GET BORED!! Smart smart dogs too. Socialize the heck out of your dog early especially with other dogs as they can be territorial and very protective of family members. Our one Cat is in charge of "keeping the squirrels and birds" out of our yard (yes it's ridiculous but she is so proud of doing it! Our other Cat (8 month old) is in charge of moving our 3 felines around the house. She pokes at them with her nose. I love this breed but it is not for the timid first time owner. They can be a velcro type of dog, or only seek attention when they want it. Our older one is also in charge of the younger dog, wakes her up with kisses in the morning and herds her into bed at night. They are just a blast to watch. I TRULY BELIEVE YOU HAVE A BEAGLE CATAHOULA MIX. PROBABLY MORE CAT THAN BEAGLE, IT COULD ALSO JUST BE A PURE CATAHOULA. keep me posted on your pup, lucky you.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi again,
Please go to the Catahoula website to learn about the breed. If you get a DNA test it might come back with Dalmation and Mastiff, as these are the Catahoula's origins.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi,
Catahoulas Leopard Dogs are the state dog of Louisianna and were used to hunt wild boar. They are a "hunting" not herding dog (big difference} My two Cats nip at our heels on occasion to get us moving along, it's not aggression and kind of amusing, but don't let it get out of control, you must be the Alpha. They need a lot of exercise and MUST BE GIVEN A JOB TO DO OR THEY WILL GET BORED!! Smart smart dogs too. Socialize the heck out of your dog early especially with other dogs as they can be territorial and very protective of family members. Our one Cat is in charge of "keeping the squirrels and birds" out of our yard (yes it's ridiculous but she is so proud of doing it! Our other Cat (8 month old) is in charge of moving our 3 felines around the house. She pokes at them with her nose. I love this breed but it is not for the timid first time owner. They can be a velcro type of dog, or only seek attention when they want it. Our older one is also in charge of the younger dog, wakes her up with kisses in the morning and herds her into bed at night. They are just a blast to watch. I TRULY BELIEVE YOU HAVE A BEAGLE CATAHOULA MIX. PROBABLY MORE CAT THAN BEAGLE, IT COULD ALSO JUST BE A PURE CATAHOULA. keep me posted on your pup, lucky you.
Wow everything you wrote kind of reminds me of my dog. Thank you for taking your time and posting back. In your opinion is a DNA test worth it? I was reading how they seem to be inaccurate. Do you recommend a certain brand if so? Thank you

·
Registered
57 Posts
I will swear you have a Catahoula! Go on the internet and learn as much about the cur as possible, go on a Catahoula rescue site to get connected to other owners. These are amazing dogs but need a differentiated training as they can outsmart you! Buy a locking garbage can at Home Depot (mine know how to unlock it now but it worked for 6 months.) I feed my one zmira as she is allergic to every other food on the planet, won't even take table scraps. (scratching, eyes scabbing, etc.) Can't even do treats like milkbones...Ask your Vet about his preferred DNA vendor. PS: did you know your dog can also climb trees!!!

I'd be curious myself to see what the DNA says, if it is pure Catahoula or has a beagle mix, as Buddy's ears are kind of big for a Cat...Your dog's physique is identical to my 8 month old Cat, from it's nose to it's tail. If you have money to burn do the DNA.
My Cats bark, they don't howl like a typical hound dog either.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts