Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy is 9 weeks old, 3lbs Bichon named Butters

She's always snapping at the air, sometimes while lying on her back, side, she even tried to snap the air in front of my face numerous times, which was kind of upsetting

Why do they look like they're trying to catch flies in the air?? Does the snapping behaviour stop once they grow into adults?

What a curious thing to see..my first dog didn't really do this much, as he'd almost always go to a toy to chew on rather than going for air...

Helpful, insightful, kind and funny comments are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
I think it is something simpler... Puppies can't quite focus as well at that age, and playing is a safe way for their brains to adjust to a new world... However, be careful of those chompers, because a playful or unintentional nip can hurt.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
My dogs did that when they had strings from their tug ropes stuck between their teeth. Is that a possibility? Or anything else stuck between their teeth that they have been chewing on? I had to literally dig the strings out!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She doesn't have anything in her teeth, but she does have some irritants in her eye, as they're a little red. I took her to a vet to check the redness in her eye and he said it should be fine and that when I come back in 2 weeks he'll see how it is, but taht if it gets worse I should bring her in sooner,

To kind of explain what she does, she is just continuously snapping at the air, very similar to when I start rubbing her belly, she starts to do that too...

If she did have fly biting syndrome, how do you cure it? Is it dangerous?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Talk with your vet. It may be something easy to treat. I posted the link just so that you would be aware of syndrome. It doesn't mean that's what your puppy has. You need to get a work up done by your vet. If you can capture the behavior on video, it would be helpful. Good luck, hopefully it's something treatable like an ear infection.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah there are some things that she doesn't do - her nipping/snapping isn't focused - it's just random and fast, and she doesn't lick her front paw,

I'm going to take a video of it next time she does it and post it up so you guys can see it - i'm also going to show this video to the vet though they are recommending we do a blood test on her, but at the same time the vet didn't seem that concerned and said he saw his daughter's dog do those kind of things...

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hope it's puppy play!! That was my initial reaction to her behaviour, particularly because she's so naturally nippy since Day 1, I thought she just had a very high desire to nip and if there isn't a toy then she'll just nip at the air ...

She's not exhibiting any other health problem symptoms, and she seems perfectly health with really good appetite, and no lethargy whatsoever, or symptoms of having a seizure (ex. drooling, twitching, shaking, etc)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts