1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when you are pretty much computer illiterate is really confusing :confused:

i have 1000 dollars to spend.

i have no idea what im looking.

was hoping DF had one or two computer literate folks who might HALP!?!?!?

·
Super Moderator
11,446 Posts
What do you want to do? Word processing? Internet? Photoshop? Video editing?

What you need and what you'll have to spend for it depends on what you want to do?

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you want to do? Word processing? Internet? Photoshop? Video editing?

What you need and what you'll have to spend for it depends on what you want to do?
word processing definatly. im going for a science degree and am about to be writing a ton of papers.

internet for research.

maybe ability to play DVDs as i had one class already where we had to watch a movie..

maybe on the smaller side because i will be walking from class to class all day long.

i think thats really all i NEED.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Well, assuming you want a pc vs. a mac....I'm not an expert by any means, but we've bought 2 dell laptops now and love them. We bought the 17 inch studio line, but the bigger screen makes them a little heavy to be lugging around. They do make a 15 inch studio. Inspiron is their regular line.

I would absolutely recommend Dell. They have good pricing and the service has been great. My husband just got his new one a couple of weeks ago and I opened the box and had it working in under 5 minutes. Truly plug and play with a beautiful screen and very nice touch on the keyboard.

You can go here and find out what they have available. We've ordered twice over the phone - the phone reps are very good at helping you figure out what you need.

http://www.dell.com/home/laptops

If you go to cnet.com, you'll find a lot of info & advice on laptops. They even have a laptop finder that I thought was very useful. Look for the link on the left of the screen.

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/?tag=TOCleftColumn.0

Tips:
- buy microsoft office or home & student (word, excel, ppt) preloaded on the laptop - it's cheaper and you don't have to worry that you won't know how to answer any of the installation questions. They do offer you 60 days to order it afterwards at the same price. After that, it can go up a lot.
- buy an antivirus program. we like trendmicro. mcaffee is good, too.
- spend the money on RAM & the processor (dual processor)
- If you're going to buy before the end of the year, get Vista as your operating system vs. XP. MS will be releasing Windows 7 at the end of the year & upgrades from Vista (which some people don't like - I've had no trouble with it) will be easier with it.
- spend the $30 and get a wireless mouse to go with your laptop - if you're like me, you might hate the touchpad mouse that comes on the laptop. I wouldn't bother with the bluetooth mouse - I had problems getting it to work consistently. A mouse with a usb connection is fine.
- i would recommend getting a wireless capable computer -- we love working wirelessly on our laptops from any room in the house.
- buy a new printer at the same time - you can get a bundled deal on a laptop & printer. Printer should also be wireless capable. We got a lexmark that is wireless and can copy and scan as well as print for under $100.

That's my novice advice. Hope it helps!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I'm not a pro but I do work with computers all day and have built some just for fun. I would only buy from three brands right now, Dell, HP and Lenovo. Dell is probably the cheapest, HP the best design and Lenovo the sturdiest.

I would go with the 13 or 14" display if you want portability. Get the LED display option to cut down on power consumption.

Get at least a 6 cell battery , 9 cell if you want longer life but it is heavier.

Get a "P" processor instead of the older "T" processors which are slower and uses more power. Get at least a Intel P8600 cpu. I would avoid AMD chips.

If you are just using for basic computing which you seem to be, I would get windows Vista Home Premium and 3GBs of Ram, that's the most you can get that is useable in a 32 bit operating system.

Check this site for deals http://www.techbargains.com/

·
Registered
546 Posts
I've had HP's throughout college. My first one was a graduation present after high school...its four years old, but honestly still works GREAT. Never had any problems with it. The only reason I got a new one is because I have "Oo, look at the new shiny thing" syndrome, lol. HPs have everything you would need for a science major (I'm a graduating microbiology major at University of Wisconsin, my computers have gotten workouts :) ) and they are also very user friendly. Definitely get Vista, though, and 3GB RAM if you can. I looked at some Dells but decided to stay with HP because it seems like all of my friends with Dells had some major problems with them...maybe they just bought the cheapest models though...IDK.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I second the Dell! I bought this Dell Inspiron 1525 about 7 months ago and I LOVE it! I have everything I need for school (I am also working a biology degree!) and I paid under 600 dollars for it through Dell!

I definitely recommend it!

·
Registered
442 Posts
First choice would be Lenovo ( IBM ) , they are built very solid ! Mine has dropped off the coffee table a few times ( dogs fault :D ).

Second would be Dell , very good machines with good support.

Wouldn't touch a Acer - HP with a 10 foot pole .

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
My MacBook can do all of the things you're looking for and I find it to be pretty user-friendly, but they are a bit pricey. That's about all the experience I have with Laptops. Always have had HP PCs.

·
Registered
164 Posts
just tell them that

u need a good processor . may be intel core 2 duo

RAM = 3 GB atleast

hard disk = 320gb would be enough

a DVD burner

inbuilt cam and mic

and i would recomend to go for ... DELL goto thier showroom and tll them that u want above configuration and ur budget , the person will sugges u the best . and u can get an awsm rocking laptop in 1000$

:D

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks y'all

im giving dell a call to talk to them about what they have. and then im calling hp. it seems like those two are midline as far as price goes(which is the first concern)

macs seem a little out of my budget considering that I have up to a grand to spend but id like to get a good one for under that if possible.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Honestly, for what you described, these suggestions sound overkill.

I have often bought the biggest and the best and then had way more computer than I really needed.

If I were you, I would consider a so-called netbook. You could do everything you need for $300 out the door.

Is it as good as some of the others suggested? Nope. But you'll be able to type papers and watch DVDs for 4-5 years with it no problem.

Quick skimming of reviews...I like the Dell mini 10 which is $320 when you bump up the battery to six cell.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I personally love Toshiba. My hubby has a Toshiba and I have a Dell. His is a little more of an upgrade but cost basically the same price as my Dell. My parents have a Toshiba and a Sony. They prefer the Toshiba.

The Toshiba's are good quality and put up with a fair amount of abuse. My parents are long haul truck drivers and their Toshiba gets bounced around a fair bit. Our Toshiba puts up with 4 kids playing with it. It has also been knocked off of the table a couple of times and been fine(it landed on carpet though).

The Toshiba that we have cost about $750 brand new 1.5 yrs ago. It has everything that you would need and more. Now it's priced between $500-$600cad new.

I also do NOT like HP or Acer... Sony is pretty low on my list as well.

·
Super Moderator
11,446 Posts
I would spend half that budget on the laptop (yes, you can get a very compact one that will meet your needs for under $500) and half for software and a printer. You'll have enough left over for an extended warranty. Usually I don't recommend those, but people who actually lug their laptops around often use that warranty.

(Don't examine my math too closely.)

My first laptop was $1700 and I've seen some recently for $300 that would run circles around it.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I got my Dell 1505, I think about 2 years ago and it still works fine. I've had no problems with it at all. My boyfriend picked it out for me though. lol I think mine only has 1 GB of RAM and its what I used the last year of college, The ram is easy to upgrade if needed. It has a DVD player as well. I got it from Dell Outlet for just under $500. It wasn't used exactly, it was one that someone else ordered but sent back without even turning it on. lol Oh, it also came with a media card reader which I now couldn't live without.

I would definitely check out Dell...:)

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I *hate* dell laptops and don't recommend them at ALL.

I'd stick with Lenovo or a netbook. To be honest though? I'd go with a $400 refurbished T42 - it'll do everything you need and last forever. Check usanotebooks.com

·
Registered
226 Posts
I love my Toshiba. I got it in '06 when I started my first semester of college and it is still going strong and I have never had an issue whatsoever. I paid a little over $700 for it and it has been well worth it. 2GB of ram is more than I will EVER need!

·
Super Moderator
11,446 Posts
Brand preferences, for the most part, are like breed preferences. People usually love what they have.

Personally, I use HP laptops and desktops. I keep buying them because they work for me. That means I can't offer an opinion about the other brands out there because I haven't used them.

BTW, I replace them because I outgrow them (I keep demanding more from them) not because they break.

Realize that a computer for word-processing and web surfing is quite a different animal from one used for serious gaming or video editing. The former should not break your budget.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
To run Vista properly you need a lot of ram and a fast processor. When the operating system is the underlying driver of needed power then it doesn't matter what else you are running. That's why everyone thinks Vista sucks, mostly because they have underpowered machines. Another reason why Vista will be gone by this year.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts