Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a dog in whom I seem to have very effectively extinguished any paw targeting. I did this accidentally, in teaching "stay" -- by click-and-treating whenever she stopped mouthing and pawing at the treat in my hand. Now, she's very good at waiting and staring for a treat, which is what I taught her, I suppose. And she is very good at nose-targeting (she'll target her target stick or my palm with her nose, and she has a nice treat ball which releases treats when she pushes it around with her nose).

Now, I absolutely can't get her to paw target anything.

I've tried physical manipulation - manually picking her paw up and clicking, but can't get beyond that (she's a bit skittish about being touched).

I've tried shaping, looking for even the smallest hint of a weight shift, unsuccessfully.

I've tried hiding a treat under my hand, but as I said, I've quite effectively extinguished worrying at my hands for food.

I've also tried putting treats under a see-through cup, but she just pushes that around with her nose, and then gives up and presents a perfect down-stay.

I'm reluctant to try the "walking over a blanket" method, because that is too similar to the mat-training I am also doing (teaching her ultimately to Settle on "her" mat, via Jean Donaldson's training books).

I'm at a loss - I don't know what I can do to get her to paw things now. Any advice? I am using her second-favouritest treat (processed cheese. Her favourite treat - chicken livers - are reserved for recall training only). She's not normally a dense dog - quite the opposite, in fact. She catches on to most things quite quickly.

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
Intelligent and now superstitious :) So, she quickly learned not to paw... your hand ?

How about if you put a treat under a cup or heavier container... so that you can capture her pawing the container.

Also, will she chase a laser spot.... and will she try to trap it with a paw ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, she quickly learned not to paw... your hand ?
Well, she has learned not to worry at any food treats ... whether they are in my hand or on the floor or under a cup... Its good, because thats what I have taught her, but now I think I have shot myself in the foot a bit regarding paw targeting... Have not tried the laser trick... will find a laser and give it a shot :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts