Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently adopted a 2.5 year old mini Aussie. Ever since I got her she's had this issue where she hold her per for 24-36hours or sometimes when she gets excited/scared she has an accident. I've taken her to the vet, had an x Ray done and there is nothing wrong with her.ive tried taking her out every few hours, and prasing her when she does pee. She is drinking normally and has access to water. So I'm at a loss as to as to what the issue is or what else I should be doing

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Have you measured how much she is taking in? Ginger isn't a fan of drinking water and will hold it if she decides she doesn't want to go too. No idea how she does it, rarely drinks, urine color is pale. It is easier for my reluctant drinkers to take in enough water if there's some in the meals if you think she needs more water.

Suspect she's still settling in. It took Max a good 8 days before he could potty out of the backyard for instance. Ginger was pooping a couple times a WEEK for a month. Try adding a small treat after she's finished pottying outside, maybe she'll work harder for a real reward. You have to develop praise into even a weak reward. Try taking her out any time you suspect she'll get excited and have to pee. I rush Bucky outside when we get home as he doesn't do much sleeping when I'm gone so kidneys don't stop working.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Add water to her food. She will need to pee at some point.

Accidents are likely a combination of too full bladder and submissive pee-ing.

A dog that is afraid to go to the bathroom and that does pee submissively has confidence issues. Such a dog cannot be handled roughly in any way. She is likely basically not a confident dog and being in a new place with a new person has simply exacerbated the issue. With time she will very likely improve and be OK. YOU need to be patient and relaxed around this dog.. not lean over her.. not be up-tight in your stance, tone or manner. You relaxing will help the dog relax and things should go much better.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
It's possible that she was scolded for going potty in front of her owners in her previous home, so she's simply scared to go in front of you. Try letting her go out on a long line and ignoring her while she sniffs around. Some dogs don't like going on leash, so giving them so room helps. Just sit in one spot, don't do anything exciting. If she goes, gently praise and reward (unless she likes when you get excited, but if she's timid about potty time, then gentle).

·
Registered
11 Posts
My dog is not comfortable going to the bathroom when on camping trips. He will hold it for a long time. I found it helps him to bring him to the same spot every time. Still takes him a while to go. He has to sniff it all out. Every time we return to "his" spot he is a little more comfortable and will go a little quicker. He is not a dog who you can just take out for a walk to do his business.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts