Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forums. Contrary to previous advice from multiple sources, we recently aquired two GSP pups that are litter mates. We had raised litter mates before and didn't have any problem. These two are different.

The two pups are both females, now 13 weeks old. As is typical with GSPs they are very quick learners and have basic sit, come, down pat and coming along well with leave it and stay. Trick is they have these down when one on one with them. When the two are together they are little wild things and don't pay attention at all. We are forced to walk them separately and work with them individually. We also have an older dog that they gang up on and harass unmercifully if we allow them together.

We are considering getting rid of one of the pups. Any advice?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Is this where we get to say 'told you so!'?

Any way the breeder can help rehome one? That would be my first call. In the meantime, separate the two as much as possible. If a friend can take one for a few weeks and socialize and train her, do that. If not try to make it so they do not have each other to hang with as much as possible. So keep the separate walks, one crated for a nap while one is loose hanging out and then switch. Separate crates in separate rooms would help.

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
I raise two littermates, but Schnauzer/Poodle brothers. They were like this as pups. They are adults and are no longer like this. I would suggest doing as you are doing now, as they are young, and train separate and walk separate for a while longer. As they get older I personally would re-introduce them to the walks together. I am just throwing out there what I would do. The only thing is ... they are going to be much larger than my little ones and that will make a huge difference in control IMO.

Maybe someone else may have a better training idea? I did much of the training on a one on one basis with the boys until they were closer to a year old. I did some things together such as potty training and play time as they need to know how to get along together also. I also taught them to share food as well as toys.

·
Banned
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies. we will start keeping them apart even more. it is difficult right now as it is winter and the pups aren't yet acclimated to AK so have to spend a lot of time indoors. we have a pen set up for them in the garage so they can play without damaging anything. we have a large fenced back yard but currently under 4 ft of snow... we have been crating them together in a large crate. will correct that immediately and have them crated separately from now on. we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
It's ok for them to play part of the time together, but should be crated and spend time one on one with the family without each other. Kilt is four months and she does spend a lot of time with the other dogs during the day, but comes in on her own (they all do) into the main part of the house to hang out and train etc... When I go past the pen where the dogs are, she's usually more in tune with what I might want than the other dogs. Outside she's very interested in chasing/herding them so will do some alone walks with some good food to get her looking to me more.

·
Registered
50 Posts
By no means am I expert but I can share numerous mastery experiences. My brother and neighbor have litter mate shepherds and neither understands how to provide guidance as in they would encourage the "litter mate juvenile" dynamic.

On many occasions, I would take control by walking each side-by-side reinforcing respectful behavior. After a good hearty walk, I would instruct each to learn a new command and they learned in a manner to respect the other when not receiving instruction. I do not know anyting about the GSP breed but these sheps responded to direct and decisive instruction in the form of tasks.

When they are together now in the presence of my brother or neighbor they misbehave as litter mates do. When I have them, we etablish harmony and a purpose to our shared activities.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts