Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having so much trouble teaching my pup the down command. He just puts his head down but won't go any farther. I've tried putting my hand farther away, closer, etc and nothing works. I have also tried gently pushing or taking his paws hoping he will plop down but he just pulls away. Has anyone else had this trouble? Did you find anything that works? My only idea is to keep treats around and just giving the down command and a treat when I see him plop down and hope he makes a connection but the problem is it will probably only work for one time and then I'd have to wait until the next time he plopped down. He already rolls over in play and I really want to teach it to him as a trick but it seems I'll need the down command to be able to do this. I think the biggest problems here are that he is small (Frenchie, maybe a foot high) so already low to the ground and he is also not a people pleasing kind of dog so his focus is always 100% on the treat. Everytime I try we both end up frustrated because he simply doesn't seem to know what I want him to do and don't know how to communicate it effectively. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Another method that I've had success with on smaller dogs is placing them up on a higher surface like a couch or the landing of a set of stairs. Using a high value treat and starting with the dog in a sit, lure the dog into the down at the edge of the couch or landing. This allows you to move your hand down futher than the dog can reach so he really has to lay down to get the treat. Also be sure to kneel or crouch down so you aren't hovering over the dog.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts