Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Trouble with "COME"

822 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  rosemaryninja 
#1 ·
hi i have a 9 month old husky lab mix. Capone is a very hyper active puppy. he knows his basics such as come sit ect. he comes when im inside my house. he comes when were in the backyard. the PROBLEM is when i take him out to a field and let him run around for a bit he doesnt listen to me. he wont usealy come. sometimes when i yell come he runs towards me and right past me. he seems so exited to be free. i thought it was because he had to much energy so i walked him for an hour and then to the field and agian he doesnt come. when i have treats he comes , sits, i give the treat then he books it off. sniffing around and such. what can i do to to help with his obedience. the same goes for fetch when we are on a field he doesnt fetch properly like he would in my backyard.

#2 ·
Put him on a long line when you're in the field. He's probably also learned that when you call Come in the field that means the fun is over with and you're going home.
Same thing with the fetch....bring two of the same objects to fetch...he has one and you have one but, yours is always the better one to have.

#3 ·
You need to take it to another level, coax him with something he would love to have even in the field (sausages, a very dear toy, food that he loves) This way he will start linking that the command ''come'' means he will get someone deared.
I did so with my Husky pup, and it really works (Though i'd never have him off leash)

#4 ·
Ilya usually wants me to play chase with him if he was off leashed in a fenced area. If I asked him to come, he usually has this expression on his face that says "why?" LOL.

I've used the long line to teach "come" but be ready to step on the line quickly if they haven't learned how far they can go. I usually make some sort of sound that lets him know the end distance is very near and he has learned to slow down.

I generally do what Erick suggested and ... I've also noticed my husky doesn't like it if I'm leaving so he will follow me if I walk away from him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.