Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will try to make a long story short...

About a month ago we adopted a 3 yo heartworm positive hound mix. For the first month, he would not go to the bathroom in our yard (at all), which at the time was fine since we were walking him twice a day and he always went then.

Last week he got his immiticide shots, and the vet told us no walking at all -- crate then outside to go, then back in. So -- we have to train him to go in the yard. It took him 4 days, but FINALLY he pooped in the yard, and after one accident in the house, he even peed in the yard.

Now strange things are happening. Yesterday he got diarrhea and peed and pooped in the crate while we were at work. I called the vet and they said it was probably stress related (I agree since he's definitely fine otherwise) since he's used to walking and now is basically crated always. I fed him boiled chicken and rice and now he's okay with the diarrhea. But -- he peed in the crate again today. I brought him outside 3 TIMES before I went to work today, but he waited until he got into the crate to go.

This is getting VERY frustrating -- we are trying to do the right thing, and not walking him, but he is a very stubborn dog, and holds it as long as he can. What are we supposed to do to get him to go outside consistently?! Is it just going to be a lot of patience and a battle of wits, or is there something else we can do?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Are you exercising him in the yard since he's not getting his walks? Before and after work? When is he eating/drinking? Are you just letting him go out on his own or are you going with him to make sure he goes and praising/treating when he does?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Did you praise him like crazy when he did go in the yard? I'd be throwing a party and raining treats down on him to make sure he would repeat it in the future.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Can you put in a longer term confinement ex-pen? A small crate will frustrate any dog if they're in there longer than 3-4 hours. Try putting in a large ex-pen with plenty of toys and chew toys, and food (not water). I'm not sure about the diarrhea, but not being able to walk is tough :( Maybe this will give him more room to stretch at least.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We were told by the vet that we're not allowed to exercise him. Just outside to pee and back in. How you're supposed to do that and keep a dog calm, I have no idea!!

I do praise him (even with the diarrhea), and say the word we use for bathroom (take a break). He doesn't really respond much to treats after the bathroom, but I could try it.

We could try a larger pen, although the crate that we already use is ENORMOUS -- over double the size that it should be, so it's not like he's cramped by any means.

This just in -- more diarrhea. I am going to cry! I am at such a loss as to what to do!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Did the vet say how long before you could start exercising again? Maybe call him up and apprise him of the situation.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They said after 30 days, which is in 2.5 weeks. I really think the dog is just feeling different from the medicine, plus combined with not being able to exercise is really stressing him out.

I think we need to tell the vet that we need to be able to give him some sort of small, short walk everyday, or they need to give him a mild sedative.

Not only is is completely stressing the humans out, but it's stressing Logan out too, which is not fair.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I called the vet and they said walk him (YAYYYY!!!!!) They said don't throw him a ball or raise his heart rate at all, but short walks around the block are okay. What a relief!!!:clap2:

·
Registered
740 Posts
Thank god!!! Also, mental stimulation is just as exhausting, so train him some tricks, and that will help tire him out too!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts