Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog has a problem with greeting people. She will greet me nicely but anyone else...WATCH OUT! She jumps and is very ill behaved. She greets some dogs nicely. When I'm with her she's somewhat decent In my yard when she's tied out my neighbors will come to pet her and she's even worse....she's a little monster.

If she dosn't jump she pees.

I'm getting really tired of this.

She is an almost 3yo shelter dog who was in a shelter from 8mo's to 2.5 years. I've had her since January and she's learned how to sit, lay down, no jump (on me), paw, come and a few other things. She has "run away" atleast until I can catch her back in the winter, but she has gotten loose (without me knowing) and basically stayed in the yard in this past month. So, alot of progress. Just not enough. (she did take over a month to learn paw).

I don't have any money to train her with a professional....as the places around my home rune over $500.

She's still very insecure, and is big on cuddling, even trying to "burry" herself underneith me, sticking her head under my leg or something wierd like that.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
it seems that the best thing you can do for her is to build her confidence by (1) being atheconsistent, firm, fair leader for her that she desperately needs and wants; (2) starting her in a basic obedience class; (3) once she has basic obedience skills (come, sit, down) with some distractions (other dogs and people) agility lessons are a great confidence booster; and (4) put her on a basic nilif (nothing in life is free) program.

An increase in confidence will help end the submissive peeing when greeting people. But make sure you ignore it meantime or it will get worse. If it's excitement peeing the same thing basically applies. When she jumps up don't be afraid to correct her with a firm, low "no" and turn (or ask the person to) your back, fold your arms, and totally ignore her, not even looking at her. Step away from her if necessary. She gets no greeting or attention unless she's got 4 on the floor (or ground).

You can also teach her an appropriate greeting behavior. For example my collies were taught to go sit in front of the person to be greeted and offer a paw to shake when told to "go say how do you do."

1 - 2 of 2 Posts