Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often should I trim my dogs' nails?

I've heard once a month, only when you hear them clicking across the floor, practice every week so they do not become sensitive in this area.

So how often, and how do I know? All the nails are black, so I made a file out of a ruler and sandpaper. It works great, but neither dog loves it.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I probably trim about every 1-2 weeks. My dog also has thick black nails and they grow fast. Generally I am reminded to give them a trim when I start to hear them clicking. As long as you aren't letting them get overgrown I don't think it's really important to have an specific schedule.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
It depends on the dog. We've had some that only needed them done monthly; our current two get them done weekly.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
My dog has black nails, and I am bad at cutting nails. So I trim his nails with a dog nail clipper every week, so that he is used to it, so that I can keep them trimmed closely, and so that I get better. If I took him to the Vet for clipping ($8 for 15 seconds), then she would clip them once a month. I don't think that frequency affects sensitivity, but my dog's nails don't click.

BTW, my nephew doesn't clip his dog's nails, b/c " the street wears them down." Not only do the dog's nail clips, but the hardwood floors are badly scratched up.... not my house :)

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I clip my dogs nails once a week. :)

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I dremmel Potsie's nails a couple times a month. I should probably do it more often...

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
When Im on top of things, once a week is usually enough. When Im trying to get his nails shorter because I messed up and didnt do them often enough (like now) its every 3-4 days.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
My doberman's nails grow pretty fast, I do them once a week.
I generally do my other dog's nails at the same time but she probably doesn't actually need her nails done more than every other week.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I really hate doing it myself even though Biscuit's nails are clear, so we go to the groomer for a nail trim every 3-4 weeks, or when I think they seem long. She needs it less often when we're walking more.

Hanksimon, my parents say the same thing about their dog. He hates having his nails clipped and I think really my father just doesn't want to deal with it. The clicking is so annoying and all their hardwoods and nice rugs are destroyed. Not my problem!

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I don't think my parents ever even trimmed our chocolate lab's nails. They didn't know how and didn't even own a pair of trimmers. They were kept somewhat in check for most of his life from the vet and the boarding facility but towards the end they were very long and probably contributed to his mobility issues. There are a lot of care issues I am hyper-vigilant about now because of him. I started to get informed about dogs about a year too late to do him any good. Oddly enough though, his nails never scratched the floors. They were super long but also pretty dull.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I need to just learn t clip them. They dig a lot, walk on some asphalt, but their nails are clicking a little on the ceramic tile. I have been using a file I made from a ruler and sand paper. I'm going to ask the vet tech to come to my house and teach me. I'm scared, which totally ruins my ability to be effective with my pups. They sense it and get jumpy.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I have never done Holly's, she used to get her's done at the vets, but know she gets them done at the groomers, she goes there about 3 times a year, maybe twice a year, and sometimes they don't even cut them because they do not need doing, she does not walk on pavements much at all, but i do have a garden that is stones, bark and paving, so i guess that helps.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
@titiaamor - I was scared too, b/c my dog had black nails. When the Vet Tech comes to help you, let her clip one nail or one paw, then take the clippers away and make her talk you through it with the other 3 (7 ?). An expert goes clip, clip, clip and it's all over in 30 seconds, the poor dog doesn't even get to light a cigarette :) And, you'll miss a lot , if she doesn't watch you do it.

When I first started, I crushed the nail trying to cut from the sides, rather than clipping from top to bottom. I also tried to cut straight across. Now, I cut at a angle from just above the soft part, looking at the bottom of the nail to about 1/8 inch on the top. Hard to explain, easier to demonstrate.

When you make a mistake, Have some corn starch handy, just in case... and keep telling yourself that you did not just kill your dog... you just nicked his nail... and it hurts like nicking your nail, but it's not a capital offense. :)

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@titiaamor - I was scared too, b/c my dog had black nails. When the Vet Tech comes to help you, let her clip one nail or one paw, then take the clippers away and make her talk you through it with the other 3 (7 ?). An expert goes clip, clip, clip and it's all over in 30 seconds, the poor dog doesn't even get to light a cigarette :) And, you'll miss a lot , if she doesn't watch you do it.

When I first started, I crushed the nail trying to cut from the sides, rather than clipping from top to bottom. I also tried to cut straight across. Now, I cut at a angle from just above the soft part, looking at the bottom of the nail to about 1/8 inch on the top. Hard to explain, easier to demonstrate.

When you make a mistake, Have some corn starch handy, just in case... and keep telling yourself that you did not just kill your dog... you just nicked his nail... and it hurts like nicking your nail, but it's not a capital offense. :)
Thank you for the suggestion....that's a great idea! Our vet's assistant is so gentle and confident. The dogs never give him any trouble. They just sort of put this submissive look on their faces and let him go to it. So I'll be sure to let him know only one paw, and I do the rest.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts